Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to be annoyed at this woman

26 replies

Booshbeesh · 05/07/2017 14:54

walking with my 20 month old ds. went for a stroll.. and obviously walks slower as hes so young, wer stopping looking at birds and buses and was told by a woman "he should be in a pushchair not getting in everyone's way... I maybe apologised to 2 people coz he stopped suddenly because a pigeon flew down and he stopped abruptly to watch it. otherwise not once did we get in anyone's way. I simply said "and good day to u too" and carried on and she walked off mumbling about how awful I am... so aibu in letting my son walk?

OP posts:
MrsOverTheRoad · 05/07/2017 14:56

YANBU but YABU if it's a busy street.

pancakesunday · 05/07/2017 14:59

It's ridiculous. She should mind her own business. You were doing nothing wrong. Some of my family were of this opinion to keep kids in the buggy longer as it's 'easier' when they go out but if your LO is keen on walking then I'd carry on :)

Butterymuffin · 05/07/2017 15:00

Ignore her. Some kids don't like to /aren't able to walk lots at that age but my view was always to encourage them to walk whenever possible and practical. Doesn't matter if it's a busy street to me as long as you're closely supervising. It's good for them!

Booshbeesh · 05/07/2017 15:02

it wasn't a busy street no... it's a small village town... not busy atal... I'm so glad it's ok to do... as I felt really uncomfortable after and came home with him

OP posts:
requestingsunshine · 05/07/2017 15:05

Unless it was a really busy path and people were tripping over him - which it wasn't and they weren't, I don't see what her problem was. Perhaps she is just one of lifes grouches OP. Don't let her put you off, sounds like your ds had a lovely walk!

ZoeWashburne · 05/07/2017 15:08

Some people are just miserable. She doesn't own the street. Now if it was the tube at 8:30 am on a monday I would be concerned he would get caught in the stampede, but on a public street, absolutely not.

I'll never forget: I was on a busy high street, and it was right in front of a crowded bus stop so there was only a narrow path through the people. I waited to let an OAP with a cane through coming the opposite direction. I felt a sharp pain on the back of my legs as a woman was repeatedly ramming her pushchair (WITH A CHILD IN IT) into my ankles, shouting 'MOVE!'- it was as if her child was a battering ram. I had to spin around and say 'there is someone of greater need coming through the crowd, but by all means hit me with your child one more time'.

DragonsandDungeons · 05/07/2017 15:10

Unless it was a really busy area then no YANBU. Some people are horrible, I had someone whinge at me for something similar when they could have just walked round us and there was plenty of space.

witsender · 05/07/2017 15:11

Depends where you were tbh.

MeanAger · 05/07/2017 15:12

SHes an idiot. Don't even waste energy being annoyed by her.

cordeliavorkosigan · 05/07/2017 15:26

Yes, don't waste your energy, don't give it another thought. She doesn't own the streets and should keep her parenting views to herself. If all the reasonable people go home because of snide comments from the unreasonable people, the unreasonable people will have all the power.

KittyLover91 · 05/07/2017 15:26

She sounds like a complete douche. Its good that your kiddie wants to walk, if it was an older child that was being pushed in a buggy i bet she would of had something to say about that too!

SemiNormal · 05/07/2017 15:27

Depends. Middle of a busy high street where people are rushing and there is lots of hustle and bustle then possibly not unreasonable as such but I'd wonder WTF was wrong with you. Can't stand people dawdling in a packed area like that (when it can be helped). I also wouldn't want someone in a rush knocking such a small child over because they're so focused on where they're going they didn't notice him.

Quieter streets, parks etc then absolutely not unreasonable at all.

ppeatfruit · 05/07/2017 15:30

Yes I agree with the other OPs . Don't let a miserable person ruin your day! Bless your LO looking, discovering and enjoying nature, that's far more important (and great he wasn't stuck in a buggy!).

Getoutofthatgarden · 05/07/2017 15:36

YANBU. "How did you learn to walk?" should be your reply to the next cheeky/grumpy sod who says anything.

MrsJayy · 05/07/2017 15:36

Some folk are just miserable your baby toddiling along is doing no harm if she was in such a rush she could have said excuse and gone past not everybody is like this.

rinabean · 05/07/2017 15:46

Sounds like she shouldn't have been walking so close and/or needed to pay better attention to her surroundings! She's embarrassed by her own failure to walk down the street normally so she decided to take it out on you and your son, which is pretty pathetic. Don't let it bother you

You'd know if he had really been in the way because people would have fallen over him and hurt him. So don't let anyone try and tell you slow pedestrians are only allowed to walk on certain pavements

Madonna9 · 05/07/2017 15:49

Don't let a person like that ruin your day. Just enjoy your childs view on the world and how magic everything is. I love walking around with my DS and stopping everywhere to have a closer look.

onalongsabbatical · 05/07/2017 15:50

Doesn't matter where you were, in my opinion, you have as much right to take a stroll with a toddler and slowly enjoy the world as anyone else has to be there doing what they're doing. Nasty woman who's lost her soul somewhere along the way.
I feel quite upset for you.

Sara107 · 05/07/2017 15:54

Doesn't depend on anything, nobody owns the pavement and if you get stuck behind someone slow on a crowded footpath there is nothing to stop you asking politely if you can get past them please. Anyway, surely a small person is a much less annoying thing to get around than a buggy which will probably be rammed into your heels if you get too close to it! Little people need to walk, it never ceases to amaze me the 3, 4 and even 5 yr olds you see sprawled in push chairs, no wonder many children are unfit. My sil teaches and says she has children arriving to school in pushchairs now. Ignore rude lady and let your little one use his legs for their intended purpose!

category12 · 05/07/2017 15:57

Of course he shouldn't have to be in a pushchair.

Crikey, perhaps we shouldn't let the elderly or disabled out in case they're a bit slower on the pavement?

Yup, only able-bodied adults who know exactly where they're going at all times, walk at constant speeds, and don't stop suddenly or change their minds should be allowed to walk around.

Thatextrainch · 05/07/2017 16:03

You can't win with this.

A few weeks ago my neighbour stopped me when I was out and said that surely dd should be walking by now. I explained that she could walk, neighbour then questioned why she was in the pushchair. She was 22 months old, only just on the 50th centile and we were walking to the supermarket which is a 20 minute walk my speed. Dd can walk it but I'd like to get to the supermarket and home again within 1.5 hours rather than 3(!)

user1495025590 · 05/07/2017 16:05

So he wasn't walking, he was just stopped in the middle of the pavement with you no doubt holding on to him.Could she get past without stepping on the road? Did the sudden stop mean she nearly collided?

morningtoncrescent62 · 05/07/2017 16:14

YANBU. What a misery-guts! On a quiet street most people would surely think it sweet to see a small child discovering the world around him. I'm not keen on toddlers myself, but even I find it enchanting the way they find the most mundane (to us) things completely entrancing. Carry on walking with your little boy, OP - his job as a small child is to get familiar with the world.

Rossigigi · 05/07/2017 16:20

Pay no attention she was a miserable cow

Booshbeesh · 05/07/2017 18:48

no it was no busy.. we was walking albeit very slowly... it was an open space no road outdoor village shops along pavement etc. she could have safely easily and quickly walk round -whovh she did anyway - just done as as havin a dig about my son walking

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.