Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what job I can do with A Levels?

32 replies

DragonsandDungeons · 05/07/2017 13:43

I'm 23. Did A levels when I was 18, got 3 Bs. I had my son early and took time out and then attempted uni and have just done my first year. Despite this I don't want to complete my degree. I have an anxiety disorder and I find exams stressful to the point of making me unwell.

Ive unfortunately just had a miscarriage of an unplanned but not unwanted baby and I need something to throw myself into to deal with it. A new job sounds like it would suffice.

However all jobs seem to be either degree level or GCSE level. I've worked in sales before and I don't really want to repeat it.

Can anyone give me ideas? I don't even know what to look for.

OP posts:
BarbarianMum · 05/07/2017 15:42

I don't think that the police is a good choice for a single mum with an anxiety disorder tbh. OP you didn't like sales but what about a career in retail?

SunnySomer · 05/07/2017 16:06

I would also say Civil Service

blamethecat · 05/07/2017 16:22

How about Dispensing Optician, you can do the course either by day release (one day at week at college) or block release (2 x two week blocks at college) , while working in an opticians full time. The course is quite science/maths based but the job is very people focused, once you qualify you can study further, become a rep, go in to training education. You only need GCSE's for most of the courses/institutions but A-Levels are a huge help as the course is degree level.

Wormulonian · 05/07/2017 17:22

Look at local higher level apprenticeships - there are quite a few in my local area in digital companies and some for coding. Are there any coding meet ups and clubs near you. There is a codebar.io near me and some for specific programming platforms e.g. unity3D, Haskell - great for networking and meeting and getting ideas. Send a speculative CV to any companies you like the look of - if you want something science or techie then it helps to have a blog/ some projects you can show.

Would your Uni not help with making taking the exams less stressful? - smaller room, access to counselling etc. It seems a shame if you like your degree to give up because of exam stress. Did you not want to do a Science degree?

MeadowHay · 05/07/2017 18:00

I'm sure you've already thought about this before but it sounds like such a shame to be giving up your degree after a year due to disability (which is what a severe anxiety disorder is). I'm just about to graduate from Law degree, I'm the same age as you, and have chronic mental health problems with severe anxiety too. I got a lot of support from various people at uni and I'm graduating with first class honours - it can be done, but getting the support you need is vital, both at uni and in terms of health & social care outside of it. Flowers

You have a lot of good suggestions here, I was going to add perhaps looking specifically at jobs in schools because there are soo many teaching assistant and admin jobs in schools that are term-time only/school only hours which might suit you with your little one? Another option is care work for a private home-care agency or as a HCA in a hospital for the NHS, but they are both very badly paid and difficult work (though fulfilling).

laurzj82 · 05/07/2017 18:06

Legal knowledge and analytical skills would be perfect for entry level insurance claims work. It's not the most exciting job in the world but it would get you a foot in the door as a paralegal if you could find somewhere to do injury claims. It's not the world's most exciting job though Grin

Sorry if someone has already suggested this. I'm in a hurry and haven't RTFT

IamScarfaceClaw · 05/07/2017 19:36

I second volunteering with a local CAB (that is if you don't need to work, but need to be occupied) you sound perfectly suited- and jobs often come up that only volunteers are suited too

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.