Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Dd12 - feeling ill for 4 weeks - GP says nothing wrong

15 replies

Poshtottykins · 04/07/2017 22:29

Dd12 has been feeling faint 2/3 times a day - achy and tired almost all the time. Been to GP 3 times - they can find nothing wrong other than slightly raised temperature. She is getting very upset and feels like no one is taking her seriously. Any suggestion ?

OP posts:
HPandBaconSandwiches · 04/07/2017 22:46

Go back to the GP - book a double appointment with someone sensible and refuse to leave until they do some basic testing - exclude diabetes, iron deficiency, glandular fever at the bare minimum.

The NHS is pushed to breaking and sometimes you have to be politely firm that your child needs help. If none of your GPs are likely to be helpful, register somewhere else. Or if you can afford it, consider a private GP.

Do talk to school though to make sure here's nothing going on that might be affecting her emotionally.

HPandBaconSandwiches · 04/07/2017 22:49

Also, I understand she's 12 but are you confident she couldn't be pregnant? Meant kindly, and I hope you're not offended.

acquiescence · 04/07/2017 22:55

Has she had bloods taken?

Madwoman5 · 04/07/2017 22:59

Fbc needed, get the nurse to take some blood

Tapandgo · 04/07/2017 23:01

Insist on a blood test. I'm not going to scare anybody by saying what happened to my child - but a blood test would have ensured an early diagnosis. Insist - please

Shouldbeasleep1 · 04/07/2017 23:04

She hasn't had the first hpv shot, has she?

DrFoxtrot · 04/07/2017 23:04

Definitely go back for blood tests and a urine dip. I agree with PP that anaemia, diabetes and glandular fever need ruling out. Some viral infections can take weeks to go but I'd expect basic tests after 4 weeks.

user1495025590 · 04/07/2017 23:08

I thgink you need to push for a blood test to rule out the 'nasty' I think we are all thinking of.

Poshtottykins · 04/07/2017 23:16

She has had a basic blood test as she has previously had a kidney infection - think I need to ask for a full spectrum one.
Definatly not pregnant but understand your thinking x

OP posts:
Poshtottykins · 04/07/2017 23:18

Yes leukaemia has crossed my mind :( she is an aspie and has a low level of health anxiety anyway but this has just gone on and on

OP posts:
Rescuepuppydaft2 · 04/07/2017 23:18

Has your daughter had any big viral/ bacterial infections recently? Or been under a great deal of stress/ experienced any trauma in the past? If your dd has had say glandular fever recently then she could be suffering from post viral fatigue. If its stress or trauma, then if all others tests come back normal, she may have chronic fatigue syndrome/ m.e (this can unfortunately be common in children and young teens.) The problem is that it is a diagnosis of exclusion, which means they need to rule out every other possibility first. This can take a great deal of time and unfortunately has a stigma of being 'all in the head'. This is absolutely not true!(which thankfully has been proven recently by Australian scientists, who have discovered that there is a fault at cellular level in every single cell in the body!)

Of course it could be any number of things but if it is M.E/ CFS then your dd needs to try to very carefully listen to her body. She mustn't push herself or be pushed to do more than she feels able. There are groups and websites online that can give you advice/ information on M.E/CFS and things like pacing and understanding symptoms.

Apologies for not reading the whole thread and if I have repeated someone else's post apologies too. I know too many fellow sufferers who became very poorly forcing their bodies to do too much, just because their g.p said there was nothing wrong!

Rescuepuppydaft2 · 04/07/2017 23:23

Just to add that as an aspie she may be experiencing sensory overload/ or have anxiety which may be a contributing factor. Although many of my friends with m.e/ CFS are on the spectrum too. Noise, smells, brightness can be painful.

Rescuepuppydaft2 · 04/07/2017 23:26

Gah I forgot to mention that post viral fatigue can lead onto me/CFS, although there is a better chance of her recovering from post viral fatigue.

HPandBaconSandwiches · 04/07/2017 23:33

If she had basic bloods for possible infection, this would have been a full blood count. This would have been abnormal in leukaemia, so the fact is was normal is very reassuring but doesn't help figure out what is actually wrong.

Good luck OP, hope you can get some help for her soon.

quizqueen · 04/07/2017 23:39

Is she due to start her periods?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.