My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to think graduation ceremonies from anywhere other than university is pointless?

17 replies

emochild · 04/07/2017 17:43

Ok ok, I know I'm a kill joy but...

Graduating from nursery, primary, yr 11 etc is madness -you can't fail primary -everyone moves on

I've even seen schools having graduations for every single year group -including cap and gown -why????

Surely the whole point of graduation is to recognise that you have worked hard on an academic pathway that not everyone gets to do?

OP posts:
RainbowsAndUnicorn · 04/07/2017 17:47

They are very twee and unnecessary but parents must like them and attend or they would stop doing them. I think all graduations are pointless, it's the results that matter not dressing up and having pictures taken.

SuperPug · 04/07/2017 17:49

Agreed.
Creates too much bother for parents who don't want to/ can't afford all the unnecessary stuff, a present etc.

MiaowTheCat · 04/07/2017 17:50

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lastqueenofscotland · 04/07/2017 17:50

I find graduations from nursery really really strange

WillRikersExtraNipple · 04/07/2017 17:51

One of mine just "graduated" from primary. It was simply an acknowledgement of moving on, growing up a bit, and saying goodbye to each other and the school.
No costs, no fuss. What's the issue with it?

EdmundCleverClogs · 04/07/2017 17:52

I'd actually throw in university graduation into your list - it's great more people are going/have access to higher education these days, but it rather makes the ceremonies long and pointless. I really regret wasting my time going to mine, I think ceremonies should be saved for those who have done something truly spectacular and worthy of pomp and circumstance. 'Graduating' nursery or school is bloody ridiculous in all honesty.

Mycarsmellsoflavender · 04/07/2017 17:57

They should just rename it a leaving ceremony rather than graduation.

Mycarsmellsoflavender · 04/07/2017 18:01

Wait a minute, a cap and gown ceremony for every single year group? What school is this? Batshit crazy.
Our nursery has a leavers party and our primary school has a year 6 end of year party. I think both are fine and a nice way of saying goodbye. No capes or gowns required.

SabineUndine · 04/07/2017 18:02

I think the university ones are pretty pointless, tbh. I didn't bother to go to mine for my MSc.

lanouvelleheloise · 04/07/2017 18:04

I have 4 degrees and have never been to a graduation. The idea of sitting still in a room for hours hearing names read out on a list just seems like a waste of good drinking time.

Saiman · 04/07/2017 18:05

Dd school just had graduation. She is going from year 8 to year 9. Was pretty pointless.

However, not all kids do move on to year 9. Some have to repeat a year, so i think they think they have to make a fuss of the ones than do.

emochild · 04/07/2017 18:51

That can't be a uk state school -surely

OP posts:
fantasmasgoria1 · 04/07/2017 19:31

I never went to my uni grad ceremony! Too expensive for gown, photos etc plus it seemed like such an anti climax! I don't agree with all of the other grad ceremonies either!

drinkingtea · 04/07/2017 19:35

End of year 6 used to be a "leavers" assembly and disco - it's just another creeping Americanism to call it graduation (though I believe American pupils can fail and repeat school years, meaning in America it has some meaning).

bridgetreilly · 04/07/2017 19:45

Leavers' assembly at end of primary and secondary school = perfectly reasonable and sufficient.

grasspigeons · 04/07/2017 19:52

I thought they were stupid but nursery explained they were trying to instil the idea that being a graduate was a possibility. It was a nursery in an area where most parents weren't graduates - they were trying to make it less 'not for the likes of us' and to get families used to the idea of educational achievement. Raise aspirations.

It's very easy to say everyone is a graduate these days but the reality is 50% of students aren't is a position to pass 5 GCSES let alone go onto university.

I don't get every year though, each key stage maybe and I'm sure some schools just do it for fun.

Fresh8008 · 04/07/2017 20:36

Confused Don't everyone most people that spend 3 years at University get a degree. Hardly a special achievement. Maybe a post grad is worthy of a ceremony but not much else.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.