Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


To want to pay for work done ?

11 replies

Notmybuilderdotcom · 03/07/2017 19:32

Having a rather bizarre experience with a builder who has done some work on a house I rent out.

Work was quoted, builder turned up as agreed and did work. Sent me a invoice for said work, slightly lower than quote along with guarantee. So far so good. I contacted them to thank them for the work and ask how to make payment, they asked for a cheque.

The next day he messaged me to say could I pay cash rather than cheque as they have a cash flow problem. I have said yes that's fine, when can I drop it off and pick up my receipt ? He said to just post the cash through, along with my original invoice and he'll then send the receipt in the post. I have said I would rather pay and pick up the receipt at the same time, given the sum of money involved, but if didn't hear back from him I'd pop the cheque in the post later this week.

At this point things have gone slightly awry. He has messaged me to say forget it and he regrets doing the job (?!), that he will do something to my guarantee and he's going to write to my tenant and letting agents about me ?!

I have tried to call and he rejects all calls after one ring. I've messaged back asking what the issue is (all I tried to do was arrange a time to make payment) and not to contact my tennant and he's just messaged back to say he will delete all messages and go in to my letting agents and write to my tennant about me again.

Seriously am I missing something here ? Have I committed an unknown sin by asking for receipt at time of payment or offering a cheque ?

I was going to send the cheque anyway (so he couldn't take me to small claims or something for non payment and also for clear conscience) but thinking should I send by recorded delivery ??

So AIBU and has anyone else experi need this ?

OP posts:

Squirmy65ghyg · 03/07/2017 19:34

How weird. Some sort of scammer?


Squirmy65ghyg · 03/07/2017 19:35

Why would the agent or tenant care?!


Notmybuilderdotcom · 03/07/2017 19:38

I'm not sure - I'm bothered if he starts bothering them and slanders me in the process - or if he says somehow the work is defective and it needs re doing ?

OP posts:

Squirmy65ghyg · 03/07/2017 19:42

That's crazy. Have you tried Googling him? How odd!


Siarie · 03/07/2017 19:42

Sounds like the builder wants cash so that it doesn't have to be declared, I expect a receipt would never arrive.


WishfulThanking · 03/07/2017 19:45

Yeah, it's bc you want a receipt. He wants to avoid tax. Hmm


Softkitty2 · 03/07/2017 19:46

Save all messages and correspondence and to be honest I would approach landlord about him.

Or tell him you will report him to trading standards.


Notmybuilderdotcom · 03/07/2017 19:49

Yep googled earlier and found the director was banned for a few years years ago for running up debts - don't know whether it's him who's been messaging or not. Wish I'd consulted Dr Google before I'd booked the job!

Can understand not wanting cash to go through the books but when happened in the past with other trades they've asked in advance of doing the work so can choose to go ahead or not.

Should I send the cheque or wait and see what he says to my letting agent ? I don't want him to invalidate the guarantee in some way and then cash the cheque

OP posts:

Autofillcontact · 03/07/2017 19:51

I don't think is anything to do with declaring cash (he wouldn't anyway, receipt or not if he didn't want to) as it stands he's rejecting any payment, so surely he wouldn't rather do the work for free?

This sounds really odd but I had totally erratic builder a few years ago who had a few temper tantrums like this over weird stuff. We became friends (yes really Blush) and found out he was a bit partial to dabbling in the old steroids. I think they used to make him crazy


NC4now · 03/07/2017 19:54

Well. He obviously wants it under the radar so you have two options.

  1. Turn a blind eye, send the cheque and wait.
  2. Speak to Trading Standards.
    If he won't write a receipt he's not likely to take you to small claims, as that would draw more attention.
    I guess option 3 is to send a postal order by recorded delivery. It's old school but you get a paper trail and it's like cash to him. I don't know if there's an upper limit for that though.

Notmybuilderdotcom · 03/07/2017 21:22

Thanks good advice. I will contact Trading standards tomorrow to ask for advice and hold off sending cheque for now and will advise tennant and landlord that they may have contact from him. Thanks all

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?