Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


Change the spelling of my surname?

7 replies

Whitlandcarm · 28/06/2017 21:02

Hi, I have a Welsh surname and speak Welsh.
Would AIBU to change the spelling of my surname to the Welsh way of spelling? In a way I suppose I would be reverting an anglicisation.

That is to say; the anglicised spelling of the surname would be Lloyd but originally it would be Llwyd. Or, Tudor to Tudur, Hughes to Huws, Rees to Rhys, Griffiths to Gruffydd.

I know this may cause some stirring within some family members. But then again, it's as much my surname as it is theirs? They don't need to follow suit.

OP posts:

Toomuchwine22 · 28/06/2017 21:06

Sure! Why the hell not! Grin


StillDrivingMeBonkers · 28/06/2017 21:06

Why do you need implied permission to do what you like with your own name?


Whitlandcarm · 28/06/2017 21:08

I suppose I'm just scared of getting judged by peopelGrin

OP posts:

Caulkheadupnorf · 28/06/2017 21:09

It's your name.


Out2pasture · 28/06/2017 21:10

How far back in the family tree to the original spelling?


sloanewarrior · 28/06/2017 21:11

I agree, why not?

I'm not a fan of nationalism but there's nothing wrong in having pride in your roots and wanting your name to be spelled properly Wink. I say go for for it.


UpWithPup · 28/06/2017 21:15

It's your name, do what makes you happy... but, as some who has recently changed from an commmon / easy to spell name, to a less intuitively spelt name it's a pain in the butt.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?