Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Going to look at the air ambulance

44 replies

Crunchymum · 25/06/2017 16:14

We live in central London but near quite a big open space and have the air ambulance land very close by every few months.

Every time it's happened DP has suggested taking the kids to 'see it' and I've always refused on the basis it's rubber-necking of the highest order. DP always says he would be going to see the helicopter not the passengers and if course it's 'there' anyway whether I like it or not.

Am I being a bit precious or is DP being inappropriate?

OP posts:
Sirzy · 25/06/2017 16:15

I wouldn't go out of my way to go near the scene of a serious incident!

HanarCantWearSweaters · 25/06/2017 16:16

Inappropriate. Plenty of other places to see helicopters, why doesn't he take them there? If he's not interested, then it's because he's only looking for the drama the air ambulance brings.

fairgame84 · 25/06/2017 16:18

YANBU
air ambulances often attend open days and fundraisers so why not go there to see it.
Totally inappropriate to go looking while it is in service.

OvariesBeforeBrovaries · 25/06/2017 16:21

YANBU, it's rubbernecking. The air ambulance only goes out to serious incidents, it's wrong to treat it as a fun thing to see.

Most air ambulances will organise open days of their own, and they'll go to local events sometimes too. Find out when your nearest one of those is and go along - often they'll take donations so they can keep running at these events, so it's a way to see the helimed and support the service :)

1ofthesedays · 25/06/2017 16:21

I have taken my kids closer to an air ambulance to show them and explain what they do and how everything works. It's pretty obvious which side the medical staff is working and which side is clear.

I wouldn't make a trip to see, but when you are on the field there's nothing wrong with discussing things with your children. Obviously you don't climb on it or get close to injured people!

gobbin · 25/06/2017 16:22

Totally inappropriate! He'd take the kids too? Wow.
Ask him if he'd want a bunch of rubberneckers (including children) 'looking at the helicopter' whilst he was being scraped up after an accident or whatever. Your DP is bonkers!

Crunchymum · 25/06/2017 16:22

I agree. I cross the road to avoid accident scenes (for the the privacy of the people involved)

To be fair the helicopter lands at x place near us [not the actual scene of accident!] as it's the largest open space in quite a busy part of town. So paramedics deal with incident at scene and the helicopter is on standby.

But I'm very respectful of people's right to privacy at a time like that.

OP posts:
Crunchymum · 25/06/2017 16:24

Will have to check out where we can see some helicopters locally. Didn't think of that.

OP posts:
Wonderpants · 25/06/2017 16:25

One landed on our local park a few years ago and was met by a road ambulance to whisk the patient to the nearby hospital. The helicopter was there for at least an hour, and the pilot was more than happy to show the children the helicopter and talk to them. He used it as an opportunity to talk to them about the importance of wearing cycle helmets and other safety advice. The crew then came back and off it went.

I did feel uneasy when we heard the next day that it was a child they had carried, who had died in hospital. But the pilot sat on his own wasn't going to change that outcome, and a whole bunch of kids had thought about their own safety and how to and when to get help for themselves if they were hurt.

I did donate to the air ambulance afterwards as well.

clairethewitch70 · 25/06/2017 16:26

Really inappropriate. There is an helicopter museum in Somerset that is well worth a visit. Also attend an event where you can have a good look at it whilst not in service. Would you say there is an ambulance, lets go and see, whilst it is in services? Because it is the same thing

Wonderpants · 25/06/2017 16:26

Should add we were already on the park when it landed. The patient was out and off to hospital very quickly- obviously, we didn't go to look at that.

1ofthesedays · 25/06/2017 16:31

I don't think you are doing your children a favour by snatching them away as soon as you see emergency services at work. I much rather explain everything, so they know and they are less scared the day they are in the middle of it.

OvariesBeforeBrovaries · 25/06/2017 16:34

1ofthese the OP isn't snatching her children away from EMS though - she's just asking her DP not to take the kids to see it like it's some kind of fun trip out.

There's a difference between seeing the air ambulance in the air/ambulances on the road and explaining what they do, and actively going out of your way to go and see an air ambulance in operation attending to very sick/badly injured patients.

DD knows what paramedics do and how my job relates to that, but I wouldn't dream of finding a random ambulance and taking her to see it while they're treating a patient.

Crunchymum · 25/06/2017 16:38

Being central London based yes seeing emergency services is sadly a part of life and we are open and honest with the kids.

The helicopter lands so close that the kids notice themselves and DP has some misguided notion of them seeing it in action being educational. I disagree.

Although not every landing has ended up with someone on board and like a PP says whilst they air ambulance is on the ground but not in action, they are more than happy to speak to the public and show them the helicopter (often there can be a bit of a wait whilst paramedics deal with incidents on scene and helicopter is on standby).... my neighbour is also a rubbernecker and has experienced this a few times when she has gone to see the helicopter Confused

OP posts:
1ofthesedays · 25/06/2017 16:39

no one is talking about finding a random ambulance, but not being hysterically going out of your way when there is one on the road. First rule is not to get in the way, clearly, but I don't want my kids to feel tensed every time they see one either.

When there's an air ambulance in the field where we are (happens a few times a year where we live), I am not packing out and taking them home!

1ofthesedays · 25/06/2017 16:40

I didn't mean that parents should do this or that, just meant that I am not feeling bad for showing things to my own kids.

OvariesBeforeBrovaries · 25/06/2017 16:40

But no-one is telling you to pack up and take them home 1ofthese Hmm

MollyoftheFolly · 25/06/2017 16:44

It would be inappropriate, we live in a rural area and it's not uncommon to see the air ambulance. Last year a parent was posting Facebook selfies of herself and kids posing with the air ambulance when it landed in the village on a call out. Unbelievably insensitive especially as a death was involved.

expatinscotland · 25/06/2017 16:50

Inappropriate. Cannot believe people think this is okay! We live in a rural area. The air ambulance landed about a month ago. The young woman they had to evacuate died a few hours later. YY, kids need to learn about accidents, but if you think someone's loved one who is injured or possibly dying is the one to teach them, that's pretty sick and low. How'd you like it if it were your loved one or child being treated and people were rubbernecking?

AirandMungBeans · 25/06/2017 16:56

We were on a park once when one landed very close to us. The doctors were met by a road ambulance who whisked them to the incident. The pilot stayed behind. I took my DS's over to see the helicopter and the pilot was very happy to show them (and loads of other kids) round it and talk about what he and the doctors do. It was a great educational experience. Awful that it had to land for someone, but it was obvious that there was no patient present at the time. If there had been we wouldn't have gone over.

CMOTDibbler · 25/06/2017 16:57

I think its inappropriate. I was recently at the scene of an incident where two air ambulances were sent due to the severity of the injury the person concerned had sustained (I was with them when it happened), and it makes me feel a bit sick to think that someone would be treating that as a chance for their kids to have fun and see the helicopter while the teams were doing what they had to do.

But the air ambulance has an open day at the base once a year, and have a mobile unit which is the fuselage of a helicopter all done out to be like the real one which goes to loads of local events - so go to that, see it, take photos in it and donate to the charity which runs it.

Shockers · 25/06/2017 17:01

I wouldn't go especially to see it with a patient on board, as that would be really insensitive.

However, I have donated to the Air Ambulance ever since I saw a crew winch a stretcher up to one off the top of York Minster.

So perhaps seeing them doing their job is ultimately helpful to the service.

Nanny0gg · 25/06/2017 17:02

We've had the air ambulance land at our school on a pre=arranged visit for the children to find out more.

Suggest that.

Sophiealice95 · 25/06/2017 17:07

We live opposite a hospital and the Air Ambulance lands there regularly . We go over sometimes. There are always loads of ppl taking pics of the helicopter and the staff are very kind and seem to enjoy the attention. The casualty is taken from the copter asap and I have never seen a casualty alight . It never crossed my mind to think it was rubber necking. I suppose that could be because we are so familiar with it landing and are comfortable with it .

JustGandering36 · 25/06/2017 17:08

Very ridiculous idea! The air ambulance service are called to the most serious jobs were it is likely life or death and he wants to take the kids to somewhere where there could be a person's life in the balance? No! To be honest I'd be surprised if you could get close enough anyway as they're well protected when on the job.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.