My feed

to access all these features


Would I be unreasonable to stick my husbands penis down a blocked pipe to teach him a lesson?

95 replies

PinotAndPlaydough · 23/06/2017 14:50

Ok so not really but I want to.
Our kitchen sink in blocked, I've used 4 different drain unblockers and taken the ubend apart and it's still blocked.
We need a plumber but as we rent if the blockage turns out to be our fault we have to pay.

I've spen an hour with my head under a sink (whilst looking after two children), I've ruined my dress with chemicals and my husband phones and tells me that 1. He's been pouring fat and oil down the sink after cooking (so we will definitely have to pay for this to be fixed and we can't afford it) and 2. That I should leave it alone and it probably needs a man to look at it Angry and he will sort it after work.

There is literally nothing he can do that I haven't already done.

OP posts:
SteamTrainsRealAleandOpenFires · 23/06/2017 23:07

Try a drain snake

Just wondering, would they of any good use on a constipated OH/DP, who empties fat down the plughole? evil Grin

Mean while I'm eating my feelings and have just had 5 party rings

Biscuits or Prawn Rings?

Charlotteswigwam · 23/06/2017 23:18

Problem with chemicals is so,etimes they just move the blockage further along the sink. What you need is a plumber (male or female) with one of those big hoses things they push down. Job done. Disclaimer: I may be wrong about the chemicals thing, I was told this by the plumber who sorted our sink, but thinking that they might have a vested interest in stopping people using chemicals. Anyway he recommended Sosa crystals, then the u-bend if that didn't work, then calling the plumber if that didn't work for future issues.

Charlotteswigwam · 23/06/2017 23:23

ALso... all the people recommending buying specialist equipment and leveling up manhole covers- seriously? I am really practical in general and do almost all my own DIY but that is one job I am happy to outsource to someone who:
A) has the equipment already
B) knows what they are doing so will do it quicker
C) obviously doesn't mind the gut wrenching smell of blocked drainage pipes....

I would also leave the undone U-bend pipes as well. They would put them back for you and, if you are lucky, patronize your husband for his inability to put them back together after taking them apart. Which he deserves.

Charlotteswigwam · 23/06/2017 23:28

Sorry if the last post seemed flippant when you already said that you can't afford a plumber. But I don't know if buying specialist equipment will work out cheaper anyway. If the blockage is really far along (i.e. Where the pipes join with other houses) then there will be no way of knowing who actually caused it, so you might not have to pay....

OnTheRise · 24/06/2017 07:41

Gosh a pp has suggested caustic soda and boiling water. Definitely do not do this! Adding water to caustic soda causes a chemical reaction that can make it explode and it is highly dangerous and will burn you and likely blind you if it gets in your eyes. Adding caustic soda to water is safer but it's still nasty stuff and best avoided unless you know what you're doing and have the proper safety equipment.

Soda crystals are completely different

So long as you follow the instructions on the packet of caustic soda you're fine. The packet we have here says to add it to cold water (it makes heat as it dissolves); to pour it into the drains; then rinse it away with copious amounts of hot water. So yes, you do use hot water with caustic soda, but you don't mix the two directly.

It is nasty stuff, it is different to soda crystals, but it does shift stubborn blockages which have defeated other methods so it's worth considering.

Problem with chemicals is so,etimes they just move the blockage further along the sink.

They don't often. They usually break up the blockage and disperse it. Physical methodsdrain rods and so onare far more likely to just force a blockage along. But again, usually, they break up or penetrate the blockage then the flow of water through the pipes breaks it up more.

ALso... all the people recommending buying specialist equipment and leveling up manhole covers- seriously?

This doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all! We've done all sorts to unblock drains, both at home and at our parents' and friends' houses. It's not difficult if you're prepared to give it a go, and it's very difficult to cause any damage this way. You do have to be careful with lifting access covers as they're heavy and can cause serious damage to hands if you don't use proper lifting tools. But it's not complicated or difficult.

Sparrow8 · 24/06/2017 08:03

We had the same thing, also in a rental but we didn't have to pay. The plumber said it had been caused by years of fat being poured down the sink and from the dishwasher. We had only been in the house 6 months.

The plumber used a massive pipe thing that was attached to a pump. It went all under the house from the kitchen sink to the drain which was the other side of the house. Took him and another guy about an hour to do.

noeffingidea · 24/06/2017 09:04

The best thing fir unblocking sinks is neat washing up liquid followed by a kettle of boiling water. Repeat as necessary.

Ericaequites · 24/06/2017 17:34

Every home should have a c cup plunger. It's great for clearing sink, shower, and toilet clogs. I have one in each bathroom to save trouble.

Katherine2626 · 24/06/2017 17:42

I would probably cut it off first. Patronising idiot.

wellymelly · 24/06/2017 19:03

I'd unconnected the Ubend, scrape out the fat, empty into frying pan and cook his dinner in it. Don't forget to put some lipstick on and ribbon in your hair to welcome him home from a tough day at work Grin

EezerGoode · 24/06/2017 19:08

Poundland do sink unblocked for ,er a pound.does the job nicely

MyOtherNameIsTaken · 24/06/2017 19:25

wellymelly Grin

Dublindiva · 24/06/2017 23:56

Don't waste your money and time on the Mr muscle type unblockers, they're crap.
Soda, vinegar, boiling water and a good plunger would be your best bet.
Failing that, go to a GOOD DIY store.
You can get an acid called One Shot (pretty sure that's the name).
Anyway it's bloody caustic and will clear anything. Be VERY careful with it though.

Tell the hubby he's due a kick in the balls for being so idiotic about it.

pollymere · 25/06/2017 09:04

We got a plunger. It worked far better than the chemicals. If it's fat, pour boiling water down a little first....You could also use it on husband...(water or plunger πŸ˜‚)

kshaw · 25/06/2017 09:33

Had same issue - bought scary hydrochloric acid from Amazon. Worked but PLEASE be careful - open all windows, do not stand over the sink and do not breathe anything in. Also make sure to run tap for about 30 mins after as if bleach or other cleaning chemicals after interacts can produce toxic chlorine gas (I work in a lab and using it at home scared me!) also use gloves as it burns skin if touches!! But it works....!

Purplealienpuke · 25/06/2017 21:37

My bathroom sink was blocked (definitely not with fat) and I had tried everything. Landlord sent a guy who was armed with an acid and a big plunger (πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰) & it sorted it in seconds! If boiling water and bicarb dont work get some acid (maybe b&q or hardware shop)
Doubt a willy will suffice πŸ˜‚

YellowLawn · 25/06/2017 21:38

you need to find a female plumber to sort this out.

and send d h pictures of fatbergs together with the invoice.

ChangelingToday · 26/06/2017 15:45

My husband was doing this at the last house we rented, it was disgusting. The plumber had to be called and he was so astounded by the crap he pulled outta there he took pictures! 🀒He learned his lesson thankfully

PinotAndPlaydough · 26/06/2017 18:08

Β£80 later our sink is unblocked, husband is still convinced he could have sorted it is he had the right equipment πŸ™„
I've told him he'll need to do some overtime to pay it off.

OP posts:
diddl · 26/06/2017 18:15

" husband is still convinced he could have sorted it is he had the right equipment "

So what stopped him from getting right equipment & sorting it out?Hmm

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.