Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask when you brush your teeth?

11 replies

drspouse · 23/06/2017 12:20

Dentist appointment for the DCs yesterday - DC1 is on a long term medication that's a suspension and even sugar free is not great for his teeth and gums.
The dentist said don't brush immediately after - that he should brush first thing, then breakfast and medication and rinse out the mouth.
Is this the new thing? Have I been brushing my teeth after breakfast wrongly for umpteen years?

OP posts:
EverythingEverywhere1234 · 23/06/2017 12:23

Very first thing then again very last thing. I have been told in the past that you aren't meant to brush your teeth immediately after eating as your teeth as particularly susceptible to damage at that point.

SumThucker · 23/06/2017 12:24

I've always brushed first thing and last thing, before breakfast and after any snacks at night.

WonderLime · 23/06/2017 12:25

You should brush your teeth before food to protect your teeth throughout the day. My dentist told me that brushing straight after causes damage to the weekened enamel.

I brush first thing - eat 45 mins later. I brush last thing before bed (I don't eat anything 45 mins before going to bed/ only drink water or herbal tea)

drspouse · 23/06/2017 12:26

If you don't brush after a meal - how do you get th food off?

OP posts:
WonderLime · 23/06/2017 12:27

Rinse your month with water?

Weedsnseeds1 · 23/06/2017 12:28

Rinse with water. Sugar free gum after meals if you have food bits sticking.

MrsJoyOdell · 23/06/2017 12:29

I always brush before breakfast as was taught that brushing straight after eating can 'rub in' food deposits rather than remove them.
Also brush last thing at night.

I was at the dentist this morning and have no decay or cavities at all. Smile

SumThucker · 23/06/2017 12:33

I was at the dentist this morning and have no decay or cavities at all

I read that in a smuggy smuggerson voice because of your username Grin

BangkokBlues · 23/06/2017 12:33

I always brush first thing.

Just give everything a swish with water after breakfast.

drspouse · 23/06/2017 12:39

Interesting. The only fillings I have are from a spell overseas spending most of my time in small villages where the only safe drink was full fat Coke or ginger beer. I assumed lack of brushing after sweet stuff was the culprit.
I do use sugar free gum at lunchtime especially if I've had garlic... As a child I remember being told that really we should all brush after lunch too.

OP posts:
acornsandnuts · 23/06/2017 12:41

Before eating. After you eat your mouth secretes it's own good bacteria to kill beasties. Brushing straight after a meal kills all the good stuff your mouth produces

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.