My feed

to access all these features


Reporting Crime Help

12 replies

ArchieStar · 22/06/2017 20:24

Quick question.

AIBU to ask... Can I report a crime/issue to 101 on behalf of someone who doesn't want to?

Any advice would be welcome thank you.

OP posts:
MagentaRocks · 22/06/2017 20:26

You can but without the victim giving a statement it won't go very far

maxiflump1 · 22/06/2017 20:31

As previous poster said you can report on behalf of someone else but officers will want to speak to the victim themselves. Also depends on what you're reporting. Will get a different response if you are reporting a sexual offence to reporting anti social behaviour.

ArchieStar · 22/06/2017 20:31

Thank you. I thought as much.

OP posts:
Greenvalleymama · 23/06/2017 06:39

If it's Domestic Violence you can still report, and if there is enough evidence they can prosecute the perpetrator even if it's against the wishes of the victim.

If it's a hate crime you can report it online via the true Vision Website, and the Police can use that information in their attempts to reduce hate crime in that area.

ArchieStar · 23/06/2017 09:30

Definitely not domestic violence. Not sure about hate crime. Definitely anti social behaviour. This is so frustrating. Is there a time limit on if the victim changes her mind?

OP posts:
MagentaRocks · 23/06/2017 09:34

If you don't want to say on here you can PM me if you want. This is my job so happy to advise further.

ArchieStar · 23/06/2017 12:03

@MagentaRocks thank you very much. I'm not sure how to PM as I'm on the talk app? When I figure it out I shall certainly message you though thank you!

OP posts:
ArchieStar · 23/06/2017 19:16

Gah. Another question for those still on the thread. How many messages have to be sent to someone before it's classed as harassment?

OP posts:
Caretoomuch2017 · 23/06/2017 19:26

There has to be a course of conduct so more than one (two minimum) and no engagement from the other party unless it is simply to say that they want contact to stop

Caretoomuch2017 · 23/06/2017 19:28

As for reporting on behalf of someone else, they need victim confirmation, however, if it has happened in a public place including a garden or the street and you witnessed it, there could still be public order offences that you can report. If you want a chat in private, I'm happy to try and help.

ArchieStar · 23/06/2017 19:39

Without putting too much in case it's outing (I'll get my laptop and PM you once DD is down) a relative had an incident on our local field yesterday, this involved relative and an independent witness not being able to leave from the field exit they needed to (physical health issues on relatives POV so used exit nearest home). I took to Facebook to warn people this incident had happened and to see if anyone knew of the witness that helped as I wanted to thank her. Rang 101 today as I've several comments/messages from 3 people involved in the incident that I haven't replied to but been screenshotting on the advice of police. They're coming to interview us next week on account of the public order thing you mentioned.

I just wondered when all the unanswered messages and comments (that are still coming now, last was about half an hour ago) would add up to harassment, there's at least 10 off the top of my head from the 3 of them.

OP posts:
Caretoomuch2017 · 23/06/2017 21:16

The best thing would be to get it all logged on your incident you reported on 101 and discuss with the officers when they attend. Ask the police force how they record crime. Do Crime Recorders review the incidents as well as officers attending? Just to ensure if it is classed as harassment it would be appropriately recorded. Without knowing all the details it's hard to say.

Have a chat with the officers is probably the best start. Block whoever it is on Facebook so they can't continue to contact you. I'd also suggest taking screenshots.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.