Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

The nostalgic smell will go

5 replies

chitofftheshovel · 21/06/2017 22:43

It's silly, really.

DD took a teddy into the shower with her and we then decided to put a whole lot of them into the washing machine. Fine until I realised she'd brought down my late great aunts dogs.

They have retained her smell and now that reminder scent will be gone.

Just feel sad to have lost it.

Any other scent provocative's out there?

OP posts:
MrsOverTheRoad · 22/06/2017 03:23

Well yabu a bit. Not washing soft toys will result in a lot of bacteria.

I do love evocative smells though. For me it's the smell of certain plants and trees. Blackthorn..it kind of stinks but when I smell that I am instantly 7 or 8 again. Same with Lilac bushes...I'm very small and at my Nan's house....when I first smelled lilac I couldn't believe it...it was so gorgeous.

Lidlfix · 22/06/2017 18:19

It's not silly. We lost my DMil 10 years ago and as it was Dfil's wishes cleared away her clothes after about year as he couldn't cope with doing it. I lofted her jewellery boxes ( costume mostly) but kept her sewing box. I wish I had kept some of her clothes but in the fog I didn't think too.

Had some basic (very basic I am clueless) sewing to do this week- 10 year anniversary too- and I was overwhelmed by the scent of her from her sewing box. Couldn't thread the needle for sad/happy tears. She'd have thought me sewing was hilarious. Scent is a very powerful stimulus for memory so your sadness is understandable Cake

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery · 22/06/2017 18:22

A while after my dad died, I was travelling to work to do something I was very nervous about. Then I caught a whiff of Dad's aftershave and immediately felt reassured and safe. No idea where it came from.

HmmThatDidntGoAsPlannedEh · 22/06/2017 18:45

I have so many but the one that always makes me smile most is the smell ef bread baking always takes me back to summers spent at my nans.

SilenceOfThePrams · 22/06/2017 18:57

20 years after her death, my grandmother's sewing box still has a whiff of cigarettes, perfume and powder to it if I stick my nose right in. So I get it; I'm sorry.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.