My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think it's a fire risk to leave the phone charger turned on?

30 replies

iveburntthetoast · 20/06/2017 21:29

After DH has charged his phone and disconnects it, he always leaves the plug turned on at the wall. AIBU in thinking he should turn it off when not in use as it's a fire risk?

OP posts:
Aquamarine1029 · 20/06/2017 21:38

I always err on the side of caution when it comes to possible fire hazards. Is there a reason he can't take 1 second and simply unplug the charger, especially if he knows it concerns you?

ThePants999 · 20/06/2017 21:38

How warm is it when plugged in but not in use? If it's not, like mine isn't, nothing to worry about.

PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon · 20/06/2017 21:39

I always leave mine on. I should turn it off though but when I'm up and out of bed I usually just forget about it being on

ShapelyBingoWing · 20/06/2017 21:42

I always leave pretty much everything on. The inconvenience would really irk me having to always plug, unplug, flip the switches, etc. I do however have a disproportionate number of working smoke alarms.

Pigface1 · 20/06/2017 21:52

DH and I have this exact same argument regularly OP! I say it's a fire risk. He says I'm neurotic and there's no record of a fire being started by a mobile phone charger being left on. I don't know who's right but it takes one second to switch it off at the wall.

goose1964 · 20/06/2017 21:54

They get hot and could short, it's a risk plus it doesn't know the phone is not attached so wastes electricity

iveburntthetoast · 20/06/2017 21:55

He doesn't have any particular reason for not doing it. He says there's no problem.

However, he's neurotic about turning off and then actually unplugging everything when we go away on holiday. So he's really not consistent!

OP posts:
iveburntthetoast · 20/06/2017 21:56

@goose, does it cost electricity? He reckons that it automatically stops using electricity when you detach the phone.

OP posts:
Toysaurus · 20/06/2017 22:05

I always unplug and remove chargers that are not in use. I think it still pulls in a tiny amount of power if on at the wall but not plugged in. It takes seconds to put a charger in the wall. Why take the risk by leaving it.

Voice0fReason · 20/06/2017 23:00

it doesn't know the phone is not attached so wastes electricity
No that really isn't true! The amount it uses when the phone isn't plugged in is so tiny it might add up to a couple of quid over a year.

Don't use cheap cables and chargers then you significantly reduce any fire risk.

muckypup73 · 20/06/2017 23:06

I had an uncle that was in the fire brigade and I noticed that they make sure they have every plug in their house unplugged at night, he also toldme not to use lamps in kids rooms,neither candles x

HerOtherHalf · 20/06/2017 23:11

I've got a mate who just retired from a life in the fire service. He reckons that transformers/chargers are the single biggest domestic fire risk after cigarettes. I respect his judgement.

leonardthelemming · 20/06/2017 23:14

The amount it uses when the phone isn't plugged in is so tiny it might add up to a couple of quid over a year.

I doubt it's even that. I tried to measure it but it's so small it doesn't register. And we live off-grid so are probably more concerned about wasting energy than some people.

DS always switches off. DW always leaves on. I'm inconsistent.

Migraleve · 20/06/2017 23:15

Growing up with an electrician in the family has left me unable to leave anything plugged in if it's not in use.

leonardthelemming · 20/06/2017 23:17

I've got a mate who just retired from a life in the fire service. He reckons that transformers/chargers are the single biggest domestic fire risk after cigarettes.

Oh well, we own five fire extinguishers. And a smoke alarm.

HerOtherHalf · 20/06/2017 23:31

Oh well, we own five fire extinguishers. And a smoke alarm.

You mean you've got a false sense of security. Prevention is always better than cure. Besides, have you ever used a fire extinguisher? I have to do basic fire training every year due to the environment I work in. If you've got the typical 1kg dry powder extinguishers that are most commonly sold for household use, good luck dealing with anything larger than a burning wastepaper basket. Funny that you would buy 5 extinguishers but mock the notion of turning of potentially risky appliances.

Fabellini · 20/06/2017 23:35

DP works for one of the utility companies - their safety brief has information about another fire started because of chargers and/or cables pretty much every week.
He goes mad at the dc if he finds chargers plugged in with no phone at the other end!

outabout · 20/06/2017 23:45

A phone charger will draw a small amount of power if 'on' and no phone is connected so it is a small waste.
Switching off at the socket is adequate, no need to unplug it as well.
Since many of them are fairly 'cheap and nasty' (even if it was quite expensive to buy) it is a LOT safer to switch off.

PoppyTree · 20/06/2017 23:47

I don't imagine it is a huge fire hazard. Then again, I wouldn't leave it on overnight or when I was out.

leonardthelemming · 21/06/2017 00:07

If you've got the typical 1kg dry powder extinguishers that are most commonly sold for household use, good luck dealing with anything larger than a burning wastepaper basket. Funny that you would buy 5 extinguishers but mock the notion of turning of potentially risky appliances.

Our fire extinguishers are a bit bigger than that. And they have to be tested at regular intervals as a condition of our licence.

And I don't think I am mocking the notion. I said I am inconsistent about turning them off.

Actually, one of them does get turned off at night because we turn the supply off. (Remember I said we are off-grid?) The other one is on the same supply as the fridge, so that stays on. The home-made one does get switched off when it's not in use but since I use it to charge my phone at night it's usually on during that time.

Toadinthehole · 21/06/2017 03:06

Migraleve

Do you unplug the fridge?

outabout · 21/06/2017 08:35

Fridges, freezers, clocks and any other devices that are INTENDED to run 24/7/365 are designed to be safe to do this. All other things (unless specified) are rated for intermittent use and a greater degree of care should be taken, checking for dust build up around hot parts for example. While the mains switch on the individual item should be adequate protection you could switch off at the socket for added 'security'. Wall wart type supplies for radios, phone chargers etc should normally be switched off at the socket as there is a possibility of failure/fire. It also saves you money!

londonrach · 21/06/2017 08:42

Of course it is. Very small but still a risk. Always turn it off when not using it and if i leave the house

allzwell · 21/06/2017 08:47

Computer systems ( not laptops) and Tv : are they safe to leave plugged in?

The fire safety expert this year said that an entire warehouse was burned down over a weekend as a printer started printing off, became too hot and started a fire. Someone had sent something to the wrong printer 😱

Migraleve · 21/06/2017 09:01

Do you unplug the fridge?

No. Why would I?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.