My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for a refund for my steam oven/mircowave?

12 replies

Doublechocolatetiffin · 16/06/2017 17:44

I have a combination steam oven and microwave. It's less than a year old, it's already had 2 months out of commission broken (it took them that long to repair it). It's now just caught on fire, not the food inside, but a rubber part inside the oven itself.

It cost £4K and I really don't want it in my house any more. I'd just like my money back. Is that reasonable and can I actually do that?

OP posts:
VerityHabitat · 17/06/2017 15:40

Erm, if it is still in warranty and even if it isn't you can still try to get your money back.

I am not sure why you'd need to ask?

19lottie82 · 17/06/2017 15:50

I don't think you will legally be entitled to a refund here, only a repair or a replacement. There's nothing to stop you asking though.

19lottie82 · 17/06/2017 15:51

verity if something breaks while in warranty it doesn't mean you're entitled to a refund. That's usually within the first 30 days only. A company is likely to offer a repair or replacement.

VerityHabitat · 17/06/2017 16:08

The OP didn't ask if they'd get their money back, just if it was a reasonable thing to pursue. Of course it is given that the item wasn't fit for purpose.

The OP may or may not get their money back but they aren't being unreasonable to try to get a refund.

RoseVase2010 · 17/06/2017 16:13

£4K? On a microwave?

picklemepopcorn · 17/06/2017 16:24

Absolutely! A kitchen appliance that catches fire when used correctly? I'd be insisting on compensation for the time spent without it, as well. Particularly right now, any company would struggle to argue with that.

19lottie82 · 17/06/2017 16:28

verity OK fair enough for the OP to ask but I think it's important she realises she isn't legally entitled to one at this stage.

19lottie82 · 17/06/2017 16:29

pickle you'd be insisting on compensation? You wouldn't get very far with that!

Allthebestnamesareused · 17/06/2017 16:46

It is a steam oven/microwave.

I would definitely get in touch with the manufacturer and in view of the luxury of this type of thing i suspect they would replace rather than repair. If you get no joy then do the usual of taking to twitter! That gets most companies moving. It unfortunate to have to resort to this but it seems to work. (BT and Laura Ashley and Malaysian Airelines- you know what I mean!!)

picklemepopcorn · 17/06/2017 18:31

£4K appliance that has been back to manufacturer for two months in less than a year, and is still broken and dangerous? I'd be really surprised if the manufacturer wanted you talking about that!

Doublechocolatetiffin · 19/06/2017 11:15

Thank you everyone. I will speak to them again, it's a company that is supposedly renowned for its customer service and excellent reliability! I sadly doubt we'd get anything back, but I just wanted to know if I had any chance - maybe with a compensation claim if the item isn't just faulty but also dangerous.

OP posts:
SofaToad · 19/06/2017 11:26
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.