My feed

to access all these features


To think that MPs who lose their seat shouldn't get pay outs

4 replies

claraelsa · 15/06/2017 12:44

The times reported that they get pay outs of up to 29k. Why should they get this because they lost their seat? They know that they do a job where they have to stand for reelection and that they might not get reelected. Perhaps they should be on short term contracts which specify that there is no guarantee of work after a set date?

OP posts:
OOAOML · 15/06/2017 12:50

Probably because they rent a constituency office and employ people to work for them? Those people may well be on contracts reflecting the fixed term parliaments act and not anticipating Theresa May chucking away her majority on a vanity election?

Would you like to go back to only those with independent wealth being able to stand for parliament?

Happyfeet1972 · 15/06/2017 12:54

Well in the case of this last election, no one knew it was going to happen until about 6 or so weeks before so it makes it hard to plan for/know that they might be out of work. Certainly couldn't have been put in any contracts given the short notice. It's also highly unlikely that they have time to look for other work as would be the normal case for someone at risk of losing their job as they'd presumably be putting all their time and effort into campaigning.

I also understand that the sum given is to cover any staff wages etc too. Happy to be corrected.

PlymouthMaid1 · 15/06/2017 12:57

I dont think they should get more than any of us who might lose a job/be made redundant - the same terms should apply. Outstanding wages and redundancy to their staff should be paid directly not to them. So roughly, after two years they qualify for a week of wages for every year in post etc

witsender · 15/06/2017 13:03

To be fair it is just like a fixed term contract being terminated early, they weren't expecting another election for a few years when they signed up for it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.