Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to think this guy is a dick?!

20 replies

WobbleYourHead · 14/06/2017 17:45

So I just had a near miss in my car. Driving onto my estate and was distracted for a split second by DS resulting in me nearly crashing head on into a car coming off the estate.
I reversed a little and drove level with the other car, a fairly young driver who asked me "what the hell was that?!" I explained the distraction and apologised profusely. He then apologised in return despite not having anything to apologise for and said it gave him a fright. I checked he was OK, he said yes and off he went.
The whole thing from start to end took a matter of minutes.
In the meantime a van has driven up behind me and instantly started beeping his horn. He lives just around the corner from me so as he parked up I stopped and said "sorry about that, we'd just nearly run into each other & I was just checking he was OK"
His reply was "well you should learn to drive or get off the bloody roads"
AIBU to have called him a dick?! I'm fully expecting everyone to say yes but it's been cathartic to write it down anyway!

OP posts:
Weebittymarchpane · 14/06/2017 18:11

Honestly I think you were totally in the wrong and overly defensive. And he's right... distraction can kill. Teach your child that when mummy is driving that talking/ asking for something/ throwing toys/whatever is off limits.

RobinHumphries · 14/06/2017 18:12

YABU. I would be more concerned by your driving that a split second distraction almost caused a head on collision.

ApocalypseNowt · 14/06/2017 18:13

Weebitty the van had nothing to do with the original incident. He was just being an impatient knob.

YANBU OP.

nostringstoholdmedown · 14/06/2017 18:14

He had a valid point.

ApocalypseNowt · 14/06/2017 18:14

The OP apologised to the first driver. He accepted. All well and good....we all make mistakes.

The van driver sounds like a massive divvy.

Weebittymarchpane · 14/06/2017 18:15

Well maybe your driving in general leaves a lot to be desired and your neighbour has noticed this? Do you drive too fast in the road.? Are you always distracted? Do you near miss parked cars?

MerchantofVenice · 14/06/2017 18:18

weebitty lol. Classic inventing new details in order to put OP in a worse, mainly fictional, light!

Weebittymarchpane · 14/06/2017 18:35

Well I did say maybe! Still don't think calling anyone a dick in front of a small child is anything to be proud of.

araiwa · 14/06/2017 18:40

If youre nearly having head on crashes on your estate then you probably do need to improve your driving

Yabu

NavyandWhite · 14/06/2017 18:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScarlettFreestone · 14/06/2017 18:49

You shouldn't have called him a dick given that you were causing an obstruction to the road.

He was rude to you but my general rule if I'm in the wrong is to finish the conversation as politely as possible.

Escalating driving conflicts especially if you have a child in the car is rarely going to end well.

LuxCoDespondent · 14/06/2017 18:52

YABU. You were blocking the road. If the van driver saw your near-miss, he was justified in remonstrating with you. If the van driver did not see it, as far as he was concerned a couple of selfish morons were blocking the road for a chat.

Either way, you only have yourself to blame. Luckily nobody was hurt this time, but you owe it to all road users to give your full attention to the road at all times when driving.

kali110 · 14/06/2017 18:57

Yabu, completely.
Nearly cause a crash and then call someone a dick Hmm
I agree with another poster, i think he had a valid point.

MirriVan · 14/06/2017 19:04

disneykid · 14/06/2017 19:14

You should learn how to drive. You could have seriously hurt someone. Idiot.

Patriciathestripper1 · 14/06/2017 19:22

Jayzus you lot are harsh?
All of you are perfect drivers obviously.
Op yes he was being a patronising dick.
Glad you are all okay and no one was hurt.

Louiselouie0890 · 14/06/2017 19:25

Yanbu. You were checking he was ok, not the end of the world. Some people just can't separate two incidents and just concentrate on the one where you made a mistake.

MerchantofVenice · 14/06/2017 19:31

I think OP knows how to drive... Most of us have made an error/had a regrettable moment of inattention. You learn from it.

Honestly, there are some awful people on AIBU who simply can't wait to dig the boot in.

WobbleYourHead · 14/06/2017 19:35

It was a near miss on a housing estate where I was going 10 mph tops, not that I asked for a critique of my driving but thanks for that!
I'm ordinarily a very careful driver, especially around where I live as cars can often be on the wrong side of the road to avoid parked cars.
It was a momentary lapse, my kids have been told on numerous occasions not to distract mummy whilst driving but they're kids and sometimes they forget.
The van driver didn't see it happen, he arrived afterwards hence stopping to say "sorry for the hold up"
Clearly there are lots of perfect drivers, makes you wonder who ever causes the accidents that happen on a daily basis, not mn'ers obviously. Hmm

OP posts:
NavyandWhite · 14/06/2017 19:37

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.