Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Home birth ends in hospital stay

34 replies

velvetcandy · 13/06/2017 13:03

Just interested what people think not really aibu as such...

I was watching a YouTube vlogger who had a home birth and everything was fine but then got an ambulance to hospital and stayed overnight to be monitored for 12 hours? Am I BU for thinking what was the point of the home birth if your going to end up in hospital? Or even the ambulance if your fine? Surly the husband could have just driven her?

OP posts:
Decaffstilltastesweird · 13/06/2017 13:10

Presumably something didn't go exactly to plan and the MW was concerned about her, the baby or both? An acquaintance of mine has had several home births and had to go into hospital to stay after the second, as they were concerned about her baby. I don't think it's standard practice or anything. My sil had her last baby at home and definitely didn't need to go to hospital.

velvetcandy · 13/06/2017 13:12

Oh okay maybe she didn't tell her audience something then. I've had 4 planned csections so was just interested if this was standard practice?

OP posts:
GreatFuckability · 13/06/2017 13:13

I had my son at home, but because he was a little bit small and was slightly grunty the MW decided it was best to be transferred in to be observed for a while. you have to go by ambulance as thats how they do it. The 'point' of the HB was because I didn't want to go to the hospital, obviously. but we did because it was deemed best.

waitforitfdear · 13/06/2017 13:14

Respectfully was there a midwife attending the birth? If yes I expect they'd was a concern and if not then an ambulance would defiantly be needed.

Not sure the point of the thread it's not rocket science is if?

LittleMissCrappy · 13/06/2017 13:14

I don't know the details but the reason why she was transferred might have been urgent and required medical supervision? I personally find your post very judgy. Many women plan to have a home birth and things don't turn out to be straight forward, there may be foetal distress, an undiagnosed condition might arise, there may be heavy blood loss. Could be anything that may put the mother or baby's life at risk. However, statistically, hundreds of women deliver safely at home with the help of two midwiives, saving the NHs lots of money by not taking a hospital bed...

I find that ambulances being used to transport drunk people at last orders much more vile and an abuse of the system compared to a urgent situation at birth...

underneaththeash · 13/06/2017 13:15

45% of first home births end up being transferred to hospital either before or after the birth, so its very common.

Its a LOT less for subsequent deliveries about 12%.

Still wouldn't be my cup of tea, I like epidurals and doctors!

PeaFaceMcgee · 13/06/2017 13:17

Many women birth better in their own familiar surroundings, or want to use their own pool, yet may choose to transfer afterwards for unplanned or planned reasons.

coldcanary · 13/06/2017 13:17

I had a home birth and was advised to have a back up plan to get to hospital and a bag packed just in case the MW decided that we needed to go in, despite me being low risk and having had easy previous labours. I think it's standard practice.

GummyGoddess · 13/06/2017 13:19

I had a home birth, after it was over and we'd been checked, the midwives dressed baby, tucked me into my bed with baby and said someone would pop over to see us in the morning. They left maybe two or three hours after the birth.

firsttimer12345 · 13/06/2017 13:19

If there are complications or problems, an ambulance will always be called to transport to hospital no matter how close you live (we are next door and planning a home birth!) if all is well, prosecco on the sofa!

PeaFaceMcgee · 13/06/2017 13:20

12hr obs are usually because there might have been some meconium staining of the amniotic waters - not an emergency or necessarily a sign of distress, but they'll be looking to make sure the baby hasn't inhaled it.

Softkitty2 · 13/06/2017 13:21

I think it's a small price to pay to ensure mother and baby are safe and well. Even if it turns out to be an unnecessary hospital stay it's better safe than sorry.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff · 13/06/2017 13:23

Okay well whether you have planned CS or not, most people are aware that birth is unpredictable and emergencies happen. Do you really think that just because someone attempts a home birth, they should not go to hospital if things change?

I had a home birth and it was fine, done and dusted in a couple of hours. However I was quite prepared to transfer if something started to look iffy.

Pretty goady post.

GummyGoddess · 13/06/2017 13:24

Forgot to add that I also had a bag packed in case a transfer was needed.

waitforitfdear · 13/06/2017 13:25

And if an ambulance can't be used to transport a woman who has just given birth then I can't see who the fuck it should be used for.

tiggytape · 13/06/2017 13:26

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

splendide · 13/06/2017 13:26

12hr obs are usually because there might have been some meconium staining of the amniotic waters - not an emergency or necessarily a sign of distress, but they'll be looking to make sure the baby hasn't inhaled it.

This was why we were sent in. It was weird because they insisted on an ambulance (DH followed in the car) but then I was feeding DS when the ambulance arrived so they all (2 midwives and two ambulance people) sat at my dining room table for half an hour having a tea and a chat. It felt really surreal. Ended up staying two nights in hospital - well first night not really a night as we were admitted at 4am. I'd absolutely do the same again, shame I had to go in but the actual birth was at home and was great.

Missingthepoint · 13/06/2017 13:27

Adding to above comment, presumably someone transferring after birth will go direct to the main ward and will not need to go to Delivery Suite, freeing up a bed for someone else. Transfer by ambulance seems to be the established protocol.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch · 13/06/2017 13:29

Oh okay maybe she didn't tell her audience something then.

There are some things that are private, even for vloggers.

Neolara · 13/06/2017 13:29

I had two home births (one unattended and one where my ds took two mins to start breathing breath ) and I wasn't taken into hospital afterwards.

If the mum and baby were taken in, this suggests that something had gone wrong or there was a significant risk that something might go wrong.

Missingthepoint · 13/06/2017 13:30

Am I right to think that if a birth occurred at home unplanned, ie baby arrived early and "unskilled" person had to deliver, then a transfer to hospital after would be routine to ensure all was well?

Decaffstilltastesweird · 13/06/2017 13:31

I thought the same as tiggy re the op.

Cineraria · 13/06/2017 13:37

I asked my midwife about a home birth this time as my labour slowed and stopped as soon as I went into hospital last time and I feel it might have continued if I'd stayed at home. I had a retained placenta last time too and some of the midwives think it's inadvisable for that reason, whilst others have said that it should be ok to deliver at home but they'd probably want me to go to hospital straight afterwards. If they are happy with that arrangement, I'd still rather try to deliver at home even if I knew I'd have to go in afterwards.

Tablefor4 · 13/06/2017 13:38

Missingthe point - not necessarily. My DH "delivered" DD2 as she was a bit (for once) speedy. It was a planned home birth, but I was planning to have a MW! DD2 and I were fine, MW sat with us for a bit but no need to transfer us in.

Missingthepoint · 13/06/2017 13:44

Thanks Tablefor4. I've clearly watched too much TV. In those cases, whenever the baby arrives early the paramedic arrives just after the gallant hero(ine) has aided the birth. The next scene is usually Mum and baby being put into ambulance to be "checked over". They need to get their facts straight!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.