Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To expect my gp to contact me

12 replies

Allyg1185 · 12/06/2017 20:00

About change of medication? Ive been on the same mini pill for a year now with no problems. Put in my repeat prescription last week and when went to collect it at the chemist was told that its now a new brand I've been given.

Had to speak to the pharmacist about how to take it etc and she also had no idea whether i should take extra protection while I switch from one brand to another. Surely my gp should have contacted me to discuss this or asked me to make an appointment?

Anyone have any ideas?

OP posts:
Flowerpower321 · 12/06/2017 20:01

If it's a different brand of the same medication then no, but surely the pharmacist could have answered your questions?

Allyg1185 · 12/06/2017 20:03

It is still the mini pill but just a different brand. She was utterly clueless as to whether the change would affect my coverage

OP posts:
user1471443813 · 12/06/2017 20:07

A lot of the mini pills were recently discontinued, it took 3 attempts for me to get a prescription for one the pharmacy was able to supply.

The pharmacist should have been able to answer your questions

SecretlyChartreuse · 12/06/2017 20:07

When I got the mini pill, the booklet had a little flowchart to explain what to do depending on what you had had before (mini pill, combined, pregnancy, nothing...)

blueskyinmarch · 12/06/2017 20:08

It is probably exactly the same drug but produced by a different company and probably cheaper.

ooohsopink · 12/06/2017 20:09

Compare the active ingredients from your original packaging to the new version you e been prescribed - if they are the same ingredient/amounts/values then you shouldn't have any issues with switching as it's like for like but you could just use protection just in case.

Allyg1185 · 12/06/2017 20:15

How long do you think I should take extra protection for? A week?

OP posts:
fuckweasel · 12/06/2017 20:22

It's almost certainly the same pill, just a different brand. I can get one of four different packets; cerelle, feanolla, cerazette or unbranded deogestrel. All exactly the same.

Wolfiefan · 12/06/2017 20:24

Ask for a phone consult with the GP?
Mine switched me ages ago but put a note on the prescription to explain that it was a cheaper version of the same pill.

Shootfirstaskquestionslater · 12/06/2017 20:27

No it won't affect you and why would the GP phone you how are they suppose to know that the pharmacy has a different brand in that's just daft. The pharmacy are always giving me different brands and it's never affected me. It's the same exact pill just made by a different company it's not going to stop it from working just because your taking one that's in a different box than what your use to.

Allyg1185 · 12/06/2017 20:27

I never actually took a thought about checking the ingredients Grin

OP posts:
bigbluebus · 12/06/2017 20:34

I suspect it is the same drug just a different brand. No need for the GP to ring you or for you to take any extra precautions if that is the case. The Pharmacist should have known that. Did you definitely speak to a pharmacist and not just an assistant in the shop.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.