Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think this 7 month fixed term position isn't even worth taking

8 replies

user1497263349 · 12/06/2017 11:37

I applied for a job as a social worker. I'm newly qualified and work in quite a specific area.

I was looking for a few months, successful at getting interviews. There was one local authority I really wanted and was happy to be successful and given a 12 month fixed term contract.

I was a little disappointed as there's no security in it but felt 12 months was going to be good experience and after 6 months I can start applying for positions internally and with postqualifying experience.

However I've just received my conditional offer (which has taken two months to arrive) and my contract will automatically end on March 31st!

Considering it will take another month at least to get all my documents sorted I reckon I'm going going to be working there for about 8 months.

To take this job I'm going to have to arrange childcare, change all my benefits, have 3 hours of commuting a day and for no security. I wouldn't mind doing that for permanent but for 8 months of work. It seems not worth it.

There are permanent positions available and I always get interviews. It's been almost a year since I graduated.

AIBU if I decline this job offer and look for something permanent?

My old manager said hes never met anyone whose fixed term contract actually ended and it is very likely to be made permanent. But I don't know that this isn't true.

This is my dream job.

But I don't want all that hassle for only 8 months work.

OP posts:
Swearwolf · 12/06/2017 11:39

I'd probably take it and keep looking too, eight months is still a decent amount of time and it will look a lot better on your cv than a gap!

BandeauSally · 12/06/2017 11:39

Take it! You don't know what will happen between now and march. Take it on the basis that it is temporary. Hope it turns permanent. Embrace the experience and work to put on your Cv.

Coddiwomple · 12/06/2017 11:41

Your CV will look a lot better with 8 months experience on it, as opposed to unemployed.

The position might turn permanent.

you can start looking for another one straight away, and you have 8 months to find a permanent one.

Blinkyblink · 12/06/2017 11:41

Take it!!! This is your dream job as you say, so suck up the admin hassle

Remember they want you and this is clearly a fairly unappealing feature of the job. If you decline the term will be even shorter and more unappealing so it's on their interests to secure you SO negotiate! Go back and say you accept but it needs to be a 12 month contract. Period.

Firesuit · 12/06/2017 11:43

Is March 31st financial year end? I think it's quit logical for first contracts for "permanent temps" to be to the end of a budgeting period, then if/when they are renewed, they will be for a whole year.

(However my experience is private sector, not sure if this is how the public sector also thinks.)

VimFuego101 · 12/06/2017 11:43

Take it! They may keep you on afterwards.

It does seem silly that the contract period includes the time taken for background checks though. I would have assumed that it was 12 months from when everything was approved.

Firesuit · 12/06/2017 11:45

i.e. after the initial period, if still on fixed-term contracts, subsequent ones should hopefully be a year at a time.

user1497263349 · 12/06/2017 12:19

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to take it. I'm just gutted it's for such a short period of time.

What's the point of them doing all that admin work for 8 months. I'm hoping it means they extend the term. Rather than do it all again with another person.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.