Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Baby's poo - wibu to see a doctor?

8 replies

Whatsername17 · 10/06/2017 07:45

My dd is 20 weeks. She was ebf for 12 weeks, combination fed until 19 weeks and is now fully formula fed.

So that I don't drip feed, we encountered a very frustrating nursing strike whereby I had to feed her when she was asleep or she wouldn't feed, my periods returned whilst ebf which affected my supply and I was anemic, so needed to start iron supplements which then affected the taste of my milk causing the nursing strike to worsen. I moved on with confidence and it was the right thing to do. We transitioned at dd2s pace, she seemed to prefer formula and would refuse bf except for at night. Anyway, the transition took 8 weeks.

To the issue: as a ebf baby, dd pooed constantly. Every feed and at least 6 times a day, often more like 10. It never settled down. It was liquidy but HVS were impressed with her weight gain and said it was just healthy bf pooing. She never went a single day without pooing at least 6 times.

Whilst combination feeding, and the gradual introduction of formula, poops seemed to slow down, we were getting fewer as formula increased and they were slightly firmer, almost paste like. We were getting 2-3 a day.

In the last week since I dropped the last bf she has started pooping almost constantly again. We are getting a mix of runny/watery and paste poops. She had a paste one at 5am then a watery one just now. Id say she is pooing at least 6 times a day again. My oldest dd had colic so pooped hard green poos every few days after a massage and much crying. I have no idea what is normal or not. Dd2 is dribbling and I think she is teething but this has been going on for weeks. Could it be an allergy? The HVS are useless and I can't get an appointment for a few weeks. Wibu to go to the GP? She is otherwise a happy, healthy baby. She is a healthy weight and I've no worries about her weight gain. She has a bit of a cough which has lasted forvtwo weeks but I put that down to teething after taking her to the doctors and the doc saying she is fine. I'm now wondering if it is part of the same issue. Any advice?

OP posts:
statetrooperstacey · 10/06/2017 07:50

I wouldn't take her to the gp if there is nothing wrong with her.
I would just stop examining f her poo to be honest! I mean that nicelySmile
As long as she Is going that's the main thing.
If she is happy I wouldn't worry.

statetrooperstacey · 10/06/2017 07:53

Oh and my youngest was exclusively ff and only did a handful of pebbles every couple of days.
Do your poos look the same every time? Mine don't! Tmi !

CrohnicallyPregnant · 10/06/2017 07:53

Pasty poos are normal for ff babies. And it's normal for poo to be runnier/go more often when they're ill/teething as the extra saliva they produce affects the poo. So nothing you've said seems out of the ordinary.

Whatsername17 · 10/06/2017 07:57

Is 6 times a day normal for a ff baby?

OP posts:
gggrrrargh · 10/06/2017 07:59

have you got any services local to you? my children's centre does a weekly weigh in and a health worker is there to discuss any issues if you want.

FramptonRose · 10/06/2017 08:00

My DS was like this. I constantly bought this up with the Health Visitor and GP and got the same response 'there is no blood in the stool and he is gaining weight, he is fine'

Fast forward to the age where you need to potty train, nightmare, he was still pooping 3 -5 times a day, liquid. It was a nightmare, by this time he was under a consultant.
After a lot of tests and prodding etc, we have now been advised to remove dairy and soya from his diet. It was a tough few weeks but omg what a difference, 6 weeks on, he is like a different child, so happy (now he is no longer having stomach aches) normal stools and is fully potty trained.

I am not suggesting you start removing things from your DCs diet without first checking with a medical professional, perhaps bring it up with them and see what they think.
We found out through an exclusion diet so it is something you can do at home, at your DCs age, I imagine inwould just be a case of purchasing special formula as I imagine they are not eating solid food yet.
Hope this helps.

LedaP · 10/06/2017 08:02

Ds was ff from birth and pooed loads. Especially when teething. More than dd who was ebf. I had an operation beteeen my kids to couldnt bf ds.

Whatsername17 · 10/06/2017 08:05

Our HVs don't do a weigh clinic. I can book an appointment but not for weeks as they are busy. They told me to book a gp appointment when they thought newborn dd's nappy rash was thrush. I spoke to the GP on the phone instead who gave me the go ahead to use canestan and said that the HV should have told me that. I just have a feeling something is off.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.