My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I find in my old age I'm changing my opinion of Tom Cruise. AIBU and need a slap with a wet kipper?

55 replies

EarlessToothlessVagabond · 09/06/2017 19:36

I've thought of him for years as basically being a short, odd, control freak (bar a short period in the late 80's or possible early 90's when I had a poster of him above my bed. Prime brat pack period). I'm wondering if he isn't actually a bit misunderstood. He seems to be very professional and pleasant in interviews etc and by all accounts hard working on film sets. Have I gone mad? Is it a strange peri-menopausal symptom? Have I forgotten some awful fact about him?

OP posts:
dappledlightinflight · 09/06/2017 20:54

I too am perimenopausal. Eyes Wide Shut is all I'm saying. He is lovely.Grin

MOIST · 09/06/2017 20:54

Is that the one when you see his willy? In a car?

TizzyDongue · 09/06/2017 21:00

Maybe we can have a whip round for dappledlightinflight, we may be able to get her the help she needs. What you think? I fear all is lost with papayasareyum Sad

GoEasyPudding · 09/06/2017 21:04

I rescue fantasies about the Cruiser. I rescue him from Scientology and keep him safe here in England.

DawnOfTheMombie · 09/06/2017 21:09

Tom Cruise as Lestat. I love Lestat. He pretty much nailed him.

Other than that he's definitely completely batshit and not attractive.

millifiori · 09/06/2017 21:10

He is an utter tosser, surely. Didn't he demand his wife gave birth in silence? And he believes he has some special Thetan powers that make him superior to others. Don't those give him an emotional age equivalent to that of Donald Trump - somewhere between two and three years old?

EarlessToothlessVagabond · 09/06/2017 21:12

Omg! I completely forgot he was Lestat! Yes he nailed it. I read all the Vampire Chronicles as a teen and loved them. This is what I mean, he has much better range as a non 'good guy'.

OP posts:
dappledlightinflight · 09/06/2017 21:14

I missed that moist. I probably do need saving tizzy. Scientology might be just the tonic!

dappledlightinflight · 09/06/2017 21:15

Look let us Crusiers have some time alone...

AmysTiara · 09/06/2017 21:15

I loved him in Top Gun. Thought he was gorgeous.

Now he's just odd. But I have heard he's very pleasant to everyone on set and doesn't put on airs and graces.

MOIST · 09/06/2017 21:16

Might have dreamt it when I was 14

dappledlightinflight · 09/06/2017 21:17

I always worry tho that he is standing on a box in most scenes.

bigmack · 09/06/2017 21:17

He was amazing as Lestat.

Were those his real teeth in that photo?

Littleelffriend · 09/06/2017 21:18

I love him he's my celebrity crush . I'm not even 35 yet

DonaldStott · 09/06/2017 21:19

Ooh no. He gives me the creeps big time.

I think he believes he is some kind of demi god with the odd scientology awards he receives and how he is regarded by them as some kind of king.

Oh and only tom cruise would think that tom cruise could play a character like Jack Reacher.

I think his mr wonderful act is just that.

bigmack · 09/06/2017 21:25

He always seems almost self-effacing on Graham Norton. Is that an act? I have noticed that his female co-stars always claim to adore him.

Rareshopkins · 09/06/2017 21:26

I like him. I wish he would quit all the action hero stuff and go back to actual acting e.g. Magnolia

EachandEveryone · 09/06/2017 21:26

I've never heard a bad word about him from friends that have worked with him do u don't know what to think really. He always has time for the fans as well and I don't mind his films one bit.

TheNiffler · 09/06/2017 21:31

Go and watch The Mummy, it will put you off for life, it's dire. Worse than Noah, one of the worst films I've seen.

I love The Mummy films, love the genre, it cost a bomb, and it's so BORING

EarlessToothlessVagabond · 09/06/2017 21:35

Well The (new) Mummy and Noah have Russell Crowe in common so perhaps we should be discussing him?! (A big wanker in my opinion)

OP posts:
RiverTam · 09/06/2017 21:58

Lestat is from Interview With the Vampire, is it not? The one TC played, at any rate.

I'm with you on Tom Hardy, OP.

ThaliaLuxurySpa · 09/06/2017 22:06

OP,

Here's what'll give you a reality check:

(TC's mansplaining PND/ PPD shite kicks in at about 1.05...full-length interview also available).

Brooke Shield's measured response:
www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/opinion/war-of-words.html

He apparently 'apologised' to her a year later (which she publicly accepted, being a classy and dignified woman).
I'm sure it was entirely coincidental that his 'apology' was issued when spouting such ignorance lost him business, and threatened his public role as Mr Nice Guy, at the Box Office (see Viacom and Paramount severing ties).

Sorry, Tom cruise fans.
I'm sure he has many decent qualities, but that was one dangerous message he still preaches to this day.

(Admit I did love his dancing in Risky Business, though).

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

user17829 · 09/06/2017 22:07

He is one of those men that is so charming it unsettles me and makes me think he could be a serial killer.

I want to like him so much, but something stops me.

MargoChanning · 09/06/2017 22:11

I liked the way he roared with laughter at Catherine Tate on the Graham Norton show recounting the old woman who inspired her character of Nan. It's on YouTube.

However, I watched his latest jack reacher film (which is shite) and there's a shot where the camera is clearly placed to make him look like he's towering over a female character. I couldn't stop laughing and now I keep looking out for similar strategic camera angles.

MargoChanning · 09/06/2017 22:12
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.