Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


Is there a higher authority than HMRC that I can complain to?

16 replies

Ghostlife · 25/06/2015 21:12

That's it really....

OP posts:

PourMyselfACupOfAmbition · 25/06/2015 21:14

Don't think so, the VAT man has more powers than the police.

Aside from that, what's your complaint?


MrsHenryMountbattenWindsor · 25/06/2015 21:15

You don't like giving away much information, do you Ghost Hmm

I don't know the answer. But I do know if you piss them off they won't think twice about bankrupting you.


FloraPost · 25/06/2015 21:18

Yes; the Parliamentary Ombudsman. //


Ghostlife · 25/06/2015 21:20

I phoned HMRC in Feb to ask if I would still get child tax credits if my son took up the offer of a scholarship in a non - EU country. I was told I would. I need the child tax credits to pay towards his food a lodgings. I have now been told I have to wait 22 days for a reply which means he will lose his school place...

OP posts:

indieblack · 25/06/2015 21:20

Yes. The Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman

You need to have exhausted the HMRC complaints process first but they take on lots of tax complaints.


yellowcurtains · 25/06/2015 21:22

Only God.
HMRC are a law unto themselves. You know- they can take money from people's accounts, even by mistake, and the onus is on the citizen to prove the error and claim back the money. I really don't think you'll be entitled to a quicker reply from the tax credit people, going by what I have read in the past on MN.


Ghostlife · 25/06/2015 21:25

But their employee told me it would be ok and I have asked them to listen to the recording. If he had said I needed to get it referred I would have done it ages ago. It only came up as I was renewing my child tax credits

OP posts:

drspouse · 25/06/2015 21:25

The Adjudicator's Office.


woowoo22 · 25/06/2015 21:31

Contact your MP.


SwedishEdith · 25/06/2015 21:37

What country is it - can you say?

Info here but you've probably read it


Ghostlife · 25/06/2015 22:02

Not an EEA country unfortunately. Am I unreasonable to expect them to give me an answer straight away instead of putting my son at the end of the pile and therefore having to wait 22 days considering we are in this position due to wrong advice from an HMRC employee in February?

OP posts:

ghostyslovesheep · 25/06/2015 22:15

maybe cut back elsewhere to pay food and lodging?

why will he loose the place in 22 days - just explain to the school

you may not have been given the wrong information - it's a PITTA but if you can't afford for him to go he can do the IB here for free x


TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos · 25/06/2015 22:16

Sounds like the sort of case for an MP.


Viviennemary · 25/06/2015 22:21

It's annoying you have been given the wrong information. I wonder if it has something to do with the age of your son. And it could depend on how much the scholarship is worth.


olgaga · 25/06/2015 22:22

Yes I would write to your MP, outline the problem and ask for an urgent meeting with her/him or their caseworker.

Make sure you have an indexed copy of all relevant documentation to hand over.

Speak to your bank about getting an overdraft if necessary to tide you over.

These things ate never resolved quickly, in addition HMRC staff have been significantly reduced.


Ghostlife · 25/06/2015 22:37

Unfortunately I cannot get any more money together as money for flight was a struggle. After the conversation in February I became committed and I have had to borrow the money for the first terms food and lodging contribution.

What I am most upset about is the incorrect information and their refusal to try to put this right in time. They have a note on my file that I contacted them in February.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?