Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to be offended by peppa pig's sexist message?

62 replies

ikeaismylocal · 05/02/2014 18:20

Today we watched Peppe pig for the 1st time.

The story line went like this;

Peppa and george were jumping in puddles.
Daddy pig's football shirt got muddy.
Mummy washed the shirt, Peppa put her red dress in with the shrt.
The shirk came out PINK!
Daddy pig came home, Mummy pig said she needed to talk to him, Daddy pig said he didn't have time as he was going out to play football Hmm
Daddy pig saw the pink football shirt, he said that must be one of Mummy's dresses because it was pink.
Peppa said there is nothing wrong with pink.
Daddy said pink wasn't a good colour for a football shirt, daddy pig asked george if pink was a nice colour, george said "yuk"
Daddy pig desides to go and play football in his white work shirt dispite having a perfectly good football shirt that just happened to be pink
No doubt Mummy pig had to deal with washing the mud out of the work shirt.

Aibu to be shocked by this gender sterotyping?

I have a 1 year old ds, he has pink clothes (and blue and yellow and purple and green) he plays with dolls, he has fairy wings, he also has cars and farm animals and balls.

I don't want ds to think that only dresses come in pink and boys should think that pink is yuk.

I live in a country where gender sterotypes not as common as in the UK so my opinion is maybe skewed.

OP posts:
Please
or

MollyHooper · 05/02/2014 21:40

Sexist pigs.

Please
or

Mmmbacon · 05/02/2014 21:47

Mmmbacon lol,
Ds favorite episode is where mr bull digs up the road, twice in one episode, on the way to the park and back,

My favorite is when daddy pig tries to hang a picture but instead knocks a huge hole in the wall,

Reminds me of dh, who lovingly isn't trusted to dig a hole in the garden, inept doesn't even begin lol,

Please
or

Ichibanformen · 05/02/2014 21:53

I want a bacon sandwich now boooo

Please
or

softlysoftly · 05/02/2014 21:59

YABU

Had you picked up on mummy pigs secret hatred of daddy pig however...

"Oh poor daddy pig we forgot you in the rain"

"Oh daddy pig did you hurt yourself?"

Please
or

SamHamwidge · 05/02/2014 22:00

It requires some investment to get the best out of it as there are running jokes (eg Miss Rabbit does every job on earth) and is quite drily witty really.

I love Daddy Pig. Wish I'd had a dad like him (slightly less porcine obvs)

Please
or

VoldysGoneMouldy · 05/02/2014 22:02

SoftlySoftly, I'm waiting for the episode where Mummy Pig is put on trial for burying Daddy Pig under the patio. Probably on the advice of MNers.

Please
or

gamerchick · 05/02/2014 22:06

Can't stand the program.. I REALLY want an episode made where they are made into a pile of bacon sarnies.

But they Ican't take anything seriously that obviously started out as a drawing of a dick and balls.

Please
or

Fakebook · 05/02/2014 22:07

Would you go out wearing a shirt that's been discoloured in the wash? I know I wouldn't.

Please
or

Neverending2012 · 05/02/2014 22:12

Daddy pig is an idiot most of the time...

Please
or

itsababslife · 05/02/2014 22:12

Peppa Pig is a vile brat. Switch to Ben and Holly, its far more entertaining.

Please
or

MrsFionaCharming · 05/02/2014 22:14

Just a side point, people are often complaining about the sexist way in which Daddy Pig is portrayed. The show has 5 directors. All of whom are male. And 7 writers, 5 of whom are male... I wonder what this says about patriarchy?

Please
or

Edendance · 05/02/2014 22:18

Mummy pig needs to LTB

Please
or

ikeaismylocal · 05/02/2014 22:19

Would you go out wearing a shirt that's been discoloured in the wash? I know I wouldn't.

I would choose to wear a discoloured sports shirt over a work shirt if I was playing football.

I couldn't imagine the story would have been written the same if the shirt was turned grey "It's grey, only mummy's dresses are grey!" or "george, what do you think of the colour grey?"-"yuk!"

I will try out ben and holly :)

OP posts:
Please
or

austenozzy · 05/02/2014 22:23

he couldnt wear it as the team's colour is white, not pink. i don't know, birds and football...

Please
or

gallicgirl · 05/02/2014 22:31

Daddy Pig is an architect I think. At least he designs a house in one episode.
A family of wolves come to view it and ask if it's made of straw. Daddy Pig says it's made of bricks so the wolves had better not have any funny ideas.

Peppa is a brat though.

Please
or

Fakebook · 05/02/2014 22:37

Why would you wear a discoloured pink shirt if your team's colour is white?

Please
or

Mishmashfamily · 05/02/2014 22:41

Oh god!

Please
or

Ninehoursahead · 09/02/2014 11:43

Yabu. Peppa Pig is the work of a genius, I laugh at every single episode
I'm sure Daddy Pig had to wash the mud out of his work shirt, Mummy Pig was probably doing important work mumsnetting

Please
or

HappyMummyOfOne · 09/02/2014 12:15

Peppa is a brat and mummy pig is definately a MN as gets daddy pig to work all day then come home and do all the housework.

I dont like the making fun of daddy pig but thankfully DS is too old for those shows now so i no longer have to endure them.

Please
or

LoreleisSecret · 09/02/2014 12:36

I absolutely love Peppa Pig.
My youngest is George to a tee!! Smile

Please
or

everlong · 09/02/2014 12:53

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Belacoros · 09/02/2014 12:57

I don't have it on. Hate it. Hate the bloody voices. Hate the insipid, barely existent storylines. Hate every character. Hated an awful episode which was 15 minutes of drilling into kids the concept of "you're my best friend, no YOU'RE my best friend, now YOU'RE my best friend."

But honestly most cartoons are pretty shoddy towards girls and women. I let my son watch some shows but now I have a daughter, are there any female characters she might admire? Or should she just sit there watching Mike the Knight, Peter Rabbit and Tree Fu Tom (plus every other CBeebies show) reinforce the message that girls wear pink and act as sidekicks?

Please
or

Belacoros · 09/02/2014 12:59

Ben and Holly's even worse! It's some sort of freak society with haves and have nots, and everyone must Know Their Place as either a rich fairy or poor, working class elf, and there are always consequences and punishments for stepping out of line (elves trying to better themselves, fairies lowering themselves.) Really bloody weird.

Please
or

Frusso · 09/02/2014 13:01

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

CouthyMow · 09/02/2014 13:24

I like Nina and the Neurons - female scientist.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?