Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Same Luxury, Less Lorries.

112 replies

Reality · 10/11/2013 11:50

I was so enraged by this in Tesco yesterday that I took a photo. It's on their loo rolls.

Why, Tesco, why?

It pains me more than the 10 Items or Less sign.

WIBU to complain to the CEO or someone?

OP posts:
Please
or

Tuhlulah · 11/11/2013 08:14

No Exit (if your post was in response to mine) - I didn't mean this thread is the same old same old, I was suggesting Tesco slogan could be 'Same old, same old.'

Please
or

Branleuse · 11/11/2013 08:19

I think this is call for a mass boycott of Tesco.

Please
or

Joysmum · 11/11/2013 08:33

What a load of twaddle.

Language is constantly evolving, this is just another example.

Please
or

SarahAndFuck · 11/11/2013 09:36

I thought you were upset about the loss of jobs for lorry drivers when I opened the thread Grin

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 11/11/2013 09:47

Evolution of language is not the same as swapping correct grammar for incorrect grammar.

Goodness, we'll all be saying "could of" next and claiming it as an example of the evolution of language!

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 11/11/2013 09:49

I phoned Tesco back in 2008 to tell them that "dont" wasn't a word (as on the conveyor belt spacers - "Dont forget your clubcard") and the woman I spoke to covered the mouthpiece of the phone (not very well) and whispered to her colleague, "We've got a right one here!"

Grin

Please
or

wiganwagonwheelworks · 11/11/2013 10:22

"Evolution of language is not the same as swapping correct grammar for incorrect grammar."
erm, it is. Sorry. That's exactly how the process works. Thousands of people throughout history leaping up and down shrieking 'it should be to whom, not to who' or 'nice means silly, not pleasant'. Until their voices become the minority and the once incorrect form no longer registers on peoples' radar as incorrect. Painful to live through if you're the one whose forms are being lost, but a story as old as language itself.

Please
or

CJCregg · 11/11/2013 11:10

I hate the 'language evolves' argument. If we don't maintain some rules, we'll all end up using fucking txtspk.

Please
or

ExitPursuedByABear · 11/11/2013 11:37

Thank you for explaining Tululah

Please
or

ExitPursuedByABear · 11/11/2013 11:38

Here is your missing 'h'!

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 11/11/2013 12:29

wigan, are you saying that you believe people no longer say "To whom" or did I misunderstand you on that?

And changing the meaning of a word over time is not the same as using incorrect grammar in place of correct grammar!

Please
or

HoneyDragon · 11/11/2013 12:37

It's wrong about the lorries anyway. What about the weight limits?

Toilet rolls may be loaded on weight rather than density make the whole statement void.

Please
or

MulberryHag · 11/11/2013 12:55

I mentioned to a nice cashier at sainsburys that their "10 items or less" shudder sign was incorrect, not expecting anything to come from it.
The next week when I went in it had been corrected, I was so excited I jumped up and down and excitedly pointed it out to DH.
He couldn't understand my excitement... Blush

Please
or

wiganwagonwheelworks · 11/11/2013 13:10

Rhinda yes I believe the number of native English speakers who correctly control that construction is on the wane. Why is semantic change any less wrong than grammatical change over time? What about terms like 'awesome' and 'enormity' - they were used 'incorrectly' to mean what they mean to lots of people now.....

Please
or

wiganwagonwheelworks · 11/11/2013 13:10

Sorry Rhonda (epic typo...)

Please
or

wiganwagonwheelworks · 11/11/2013 13:11

and CJCregg the new rule is that you use 'less' to modify both count and mass nouns. Horrifying, ain't it.

Please
or

letsgomaths · 11/11/2013 13:57

What did I see today?

"We will be observing a 2-minuet silence." (In a well-known bank)

"Let's see how far this (Coke lorry) get's."

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 11/11/2013 14:15

I dunno, wigan, I quite like Rhinda.

Agree to disagree on this one, I think, as I'm definitely in the "to whom" camp Smile

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 11/11/2013 14:17

My favourite?

Outside a green grocer:

"Pommy Granit's" Shock

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 11/11/2013 14:17

greengrocer Blush

Please
or

wiganwagonwheelworks · 11/11/2013 14:41

I'm in the 'to whom' camp too, and it upsets me a bit, but I'm not allowed to be prescriptive cos I do this for a living, I'd just be getting upset about all my real world data where the system's changing and there's nothing I can do about it.....Bah. My students are afraid of 'whom' now and are scared of using it incorrectly so they just avoid it altogether.

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 11/11/2013 17:01

Oh, I see where you're coming from wigan.

But my two teenagers seem to be ok with mixing correct grammar with street talk, so I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

What I love about words such as "whom" is that they remind us of the roots of our language and if you learn German, for example, it helps to make sense of some of our (sadly fast disappearing) language.

Please
or

wiganwagonwheelworks · 11/11/2013 20:23

I agree. We still have our nice strong verb system though, take heart !!!

Please
or

EBearhug · 11/11/2013 22:49

The next week when I went in it had been corrected, I was so excited I jumped up and down and excitedly pointed it out to DH.

I slept with a man once, mostly on account of his sound views on apostrophes.

(And I wonder why I'm still single...)

Please
or

Tuhlulah · 12/11/2013 14:57

EBear, that must have been a primordial urge, your genes struggling to unite with the genes of a man who knew how to punctuate properly. Think of the lost opportunities of the offspring, who would know the difference between less and fewer.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?