My feed

to access all these features


to think that the LL should replace an integrated fridge/freezer?

22 replies

pantsjustpants · 12/06/2013 12:31

Really wish we hadn't moved into this house. I love it, I love the area, but the LL is hard work and the agency even harder!!

We have a (n old) fitted kitchen with an integrated fridge/freezer. The fridge/freezer is on the verge of packing up. The temperature control doesn't work, and the temperature is variable. I'm fed up with throwing away food that has been frozen, it's just not fit for purpose.

So I spoke to the letting agency who said they'd speak to the LL. The reply came back, eventually, that they're not responsible for replacing it. It's down to us.

That can't be right surely?? It's part of our kitchen, it was supplied with the house at £x rent per month and it's mentioned on the inventory.

Does anybody know about this please??

Particularly annoying as we sold our fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier as these were already in the house. They weren't brilliant or brand new, but they were ours iykwim.

OP posts:
MonstrousPippin · 12/06/2013 12:36

Was there an inventory when you moved in?

Usually fitted appliances provided as part of the tenancy should be replaced by the landlord. If they choose not to, they should either reduce the rent or let you out of your contract.

Wishiwasanheiress · 12/06/2013 12:36

What does the contract state? If it comes integrated you would usually expect LL to be responsible IMO

PleasePudding · 12/06/2013 12:37

Tell him that you'll jut chuck it out and not replace it as you've decided to go entirely green and live without refrigeration or any other electrical good - he might then feel that afterall he does have a stake in it.

YANBU, he is being an idiot. sorry I can't help you with any legal or genuinely helpful advice but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.

MrsRogerSterling · 12/06/2013 12:38

If it is included in the inventory then it is the landlords responsibility to replace.

BettySwollocksandaCrustyRack · 12/06/2013 12:44

I am a LL and this is the reason I don't let my property furnished and ith white goods. Unless the LL has it written into the contract that he won't replace it when it breaks then yes, it is his responsibility and he has to replace it for you!

You need to read your contract and once you are sure it's not mentioned on there (and yes, check its on the inventory) and make a fuss.

pantsjustpants · 12/06/2013 12:51

I would dearly love some legal jargon to sling back tbh Grin. Although probably a tad childish.

One compromise we suggested was that they remove the f/f and integrated cupboard bit, and we'd get our own f/f. Not too bothered about that, could then choose a lovely big one! But they will only arrange the removal of f/f and not the cupboard. So that's annoyed me to be quite frank, as we're not asking for a reduction in rent or anything outlandish.

Yes it is on the inventory. Included in the writing and in pictures. I would need to check the contract later as it's at home and I'm at work.

OP posts:
pantsjustpants · 12/06/2013 12:53

I'm glad I'm not being unreasonable. We've rented for a few years now, and I've never had this before. Everything on the inventory has always been the responsibility of the LL, end of.

I will never rent through this agent again. Since being with them I've heard nothing but bad stories.

OP posts:
fedupwithdeployment · 12/06/2013 12:54

I was a LL and the integrated ff broke. We were about to sell the house, but still replaced it, with a stand alone cheap one (plenty of room in the kitchen). An integrated one would have cost £££, so that was the compromise. Tenants were happy(ish).

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong · 12/06/2013 12:55

If it's on the inventory he has to do it.
My Mum is a landlord and doesn't supply white goods for this reason.

Twunk · 12/06/2013 12:55

If he's provided it he needs to maintain or replace it - and the agency should be aware of this and be working on your behalf too. They've fobbed you off - go back again and demand action.

BarbarianMum · 12/06/2013 12:57

I'm a landlady.

If it's on the inventory, then its not yours to dispose of (as in you couldn't just take it with you when you left). Equally, it's not your responsibility to replace it, or pay for it to be fixed.

If you do come to a compromise then for the love of God get it written down and signed because otherwise you'll end up replacing it and then your LL may well claim it at the end of the tenancy.

pantsjustpants · 12/06/2013 12:57

"and the agency should be aware of this and be working on your behalf too."

They're def not working our behalf.....

OP posts:
TheOneAndOnlyAllan · 12/06/2013 13:04

The agency is the agency of the landlord, not the tenant. I doubt they give a teeny tiny shit about it. You need to hassle them until they DO care - if it's on the inventory, it's the LL's problem.

MonstrousPippin · 12/06/2013 13:15

Yes don't fall into the trap of replacing it and then the landlord claiming it as his/hers because you 'broke' the original one (I know you didn't).

Cravey · 12/06/2013 13:16

The agency work for the ll not the tenant therefore really wil not give a stuff. As others have said pull out your contract and inventory. If the ff is on said inventory and there is no clause saying it will not be replaced then ll has to sort it out. Call agency once you have established if its ll issue or not and give them a reasonable amount if time in which to sort it out. Do not throw it out as ll will have good cause to bill you for it and bill you for any damage caused by taking it out. Check contract again and see what that says. Ll may well have specified that it was part of kitchen but not part of contract to replace which lots of them do.

holidaysarenice · 12/06/2013 13:21

As a ll I want out of furnished, any white goods left I offer to the tenant on the understanding that the contract specifies they won't be replaced if broken.

Tenants are usually happy with this as it saves buying all of them to begin with.

I would be happy with you getting rid, but not removing part of the kitchen. That would mean cutting worktops and would look horrendous when you leave.

pantsjustpants · 12/06/2013 13:39

holidays the reason we suggested removing the integrated part is because it's right on the end. It won't damage the rest of the kitchen, cupboards or work top. Plus, if they do decide to replace the ff then a free-standing one is much cheaper than an integrated one (I believe).

Will check the contract later and let you know!

OP posts:
HeffalumpTheFlump · 12/06/2013 15:55

You definately need to check your tenancy agreement. Our last flat had it in the agreement that the tennants are responsible for the white goods. This meant maintenance and replacement if necessary. HTH.

mummytowillow · 12/06/2013 17:12

I have tenants in a house of mine, an all the kitchen appliances are integrated. If they break I am responsible and I've already paid to fix the freezer.

Your landlord is having you over. If they are on the inventory they are responsible.

Wibblypiglikesbananas · 12/06/2013 17:14

I'm a LL and would replace. I think both your LL and the agency are trying to pull a fast one.

Mouserama · 12/06/2013 17:48

I'd say the same as many of the posters here. I'm a LL, and if it's written into the inventory, then unless the LL has specifically written that he/she won't fix if it breaks then it is absolutely the LL's responsibility to fix/replace. Whatever you do, don't chuck it away, as you may find yourself in a tricky situation when you leave the house as the LL could legimitely keep some of your deposit to replace it.

Twunk · 12/06/2013 23:54

Sorry had a screaming 3 year old and I didn't put it very well. I was a property manager for several years and managed many flats on behalf of landlords. However, I always had a duty of care to the tenants and would often "battle" LLs if they were not looking after their tenants and their properties. It's a fine balance, and yes I couldn't spend my landlords money without their consent, but neither was it in their interests to have unhappy tenants or indeed break the terms of their contracts or even the law (e.g. carrying out gas safety checks). Tenants leaving costs money.


Don’t want to miss threads like this?


Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

Log in to update your newsletter preferences.

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.