Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


To be heartbroken for DH

114 replies

RabidRabbit · 02/06/2011 11:29

Who has just been told that he won't be able to graduate, or get his degree certificate, because he owes the university £6,500. All he will get to show for 4 years at university as a mature student, for working his bollocks off juggling full time work, full time university, full time family... is a piece of fucking paper with his credits on it. How on earth will that compete with his classmates shiny new certificates when applying for his first graduate job?

The reason he owes the university money as well as the student loan company is because he got deferred for a year when DD was born so that he could be around more, but he wasn't entitled to any more funding from the student loan people as he went to uni for 2 years before dropping out when he left college. The university agreed to fund his last year as he was an 'exceptional' student, and now they're basically saying "jog on", after he has paid them £300 per month for the past 2 months to try and clear the debt, which was supposed to be an ongoing payment plan until the debt was cleared. Now they want the full balance by the end of June, or it's a shitty transcript of his credits and no graduation.

I'm just so bloody sad for him right now. It just seems to be one thing after another this year. Is it too early to get pissed?

OP posts:

Tortu · 02/06/2011 11:31

Thinking about gin right now. Though that's mainly through boredom.

Nothing practical to say, apart from to offer my sympathy.


Catsu · 02/06/2011 11:35

If I were him I would do anything and everything to get that money to pay them back before the end of June and get the certificate!
4 years of work down the drain for the sake of £6500 - he would always regret not sorting it out!
If he can afford £300 a month in repayments then there will be some bank/loan comapny/credit card that will lend him the money and he can then repay directly to them (instead of the uni) until its paid off. It may be a bit more in interest but worth it!
Presumably even if DH doesnt pay the uni before the end of June, he will still owe them the money and be expected to pay it back anyway long term even if he just gets credits printed rather than a certificate?

Dont sit around feeling sorry for him and thinking about getting pissed, start calling round places and help him sort it out!!


babybythesea · 02/06/2011 11:36

Is there any chance of a normal bank loan? Because it seems soul destroying to not get the qualification after that amount of work. Not ideal, but at least he'd have his degree to put on his CV.


shirleyshortcut · 02/06/2011 11:39

what did he do for the entire deferred year?


LaurieFairyCake · 02/06/2011 11:40

He still has a degree - you don't need the certificate Confused

No-one asks to see it and if they do the list of credits will be fine.

Send them a registered letter offering to make payments - their unreasonableness over the money will not prevent him claiming he has a degree to employers.

I didn't bother going to my graduation ceremony, was working by then - and not one person in all the jobs I had asked to see it. I also have a list of credited modules from other courses which add up to a Masters and I have taken them to interview but just stated on the application form that I have a Masters.


ObiWan · 02/06/2011 11:40

The transcript of credits will be fine for many employers. No graduation ceremony is not really a big deal, lots of people don't bother with them.

He knew the score when he decided to take a year out, especially as he'd dropped out before.
It is made really clear to students what will happen if they are in debt to the university when they complete their studies, did he expect just to graduate alongside all of the other students who had paid their fees?


RabidRabbit · 02/06/2011 11:41

He can't afford the £300 per month, that's the thing - we're on our bloody arses right now, paying it because we thought we had no other choice or he wouldn't graduate! And now we have been told he can't any way, payments or no payments. There is just no way we will be able to raise that sort of money in a month.

He has rubbish credit from being a feckless git with money in his younger years, I have rubbish credit from an ex that bled me dry, we just can't do it.

How much do cute, blonde, blue eyed 2 year old girls sell for these days? Grin

He is on his way home now, will brainstorm with him then.

OP posts:

bubblecoral · 02/06/2011 11:41

Can he talk to the student union and get some advice on this? Any other student services that are attached to his university?

There must be some way to resolve this, but if not, he needs to find a loan from somewhere.


RabidRabbit · 02/06/2011 11:45

Yes he did expect to graduate alongside others, because the university stated he would be able to, as long as he kept up the £300pm repayments to them - which he has. Now they want the full balance.

Does he really not need the certificate? Apparently the first job as a graduate you apply for will always ask to see it so he says.

OP posts:

bubblecoral · 02/06/2011 11:47

Does he have any kind of contract stating that they agreed to let him pay the money back in installments?


LindyHemming · 02/06/2011 11:48

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

muttimalzwei · 02/06/2011 11:48

What about going into the uni and asking the finance dept to work something out with you. They must be able to be sympathetic to what has happened. Face to face and perhaps with baby in tow?


bubblecoral · 02/06/2011 11:49

Are there any special circumstances that meant he had to take a year off to be with his dd? A year off for a baby seems a long time otherwise and unlikely to gain any sympathy. Where did his student loan go if he owes such a large amount of money still?


muttimalzwei · 02/06/2011 11:49

There is usually a designated person who deals with student hardship who will be able to see you face to face and talk through the options. There must be room for negotiation here. I'm so sorry you are going through this after all the work he has put in.


smudgethepuppydog · 02/06/2011 11:50

Does he have the promise to graduate in writing anywhere?


tyler80 · 02/06/2011 11:51

Can he not just graduate at a later date after paying off the balance? Or is it now or never?

Plenty of universities don't have graduation until the December of the year they finish so he won't be any worse off, in terms of not having the certificate, than those people.


RabidRabbit · 02/06/2011 11:51

I'm sure there is a contract, I'm sure he had to sign something stating he would keep up payments - I didn't ask tbh, just assumed he did. Will check when he is home.

He has just been into uni, he phoned me from there to tell me the news. He has spoken to the finance dept face to face, spoke on the phone for 20 minutes with another higher dept who assure him that he won't be graduating with this outstanding debt. Not at all sympathetic apparently. But then why should they be I suppose, he owes them money, they want it back.

OP posts:

isw · 02/06/2011 11:53

I have never shown my degree certificate to anyone! i think its still in the roll thing they gave it to me in. I have however had to send my credit transcipt when I appplied to do a PGCE and thats it!! There rest of the time I just write BSc (HONS) and no one has asked for proof ever.


muttimalzwei · 02/06/2011 11:54

I think, if he can face it, he needs to explain to them just how much this means to him and all the sacrifices he has made and create a bit of a fuss. There has to be a way round this, perhaps he can contact his course tutor for moral support, espcially since they think he is a good student. They might be able to advise further.


RockinSockBunnies · 02/06/2011 11:57

I've never got around to graduating from my undergraduate degree either, as I still technically owe them around £1000. It's never been an issue. You just get an official transcript from the University Registrar, which states your degree result and a breakdown of your marks. It's simple.


titchy · 02/06/2011 11:57

The thing is, if he does get his degree certificate, there's nothing to stop him just not bothering to pay off his debts. And it costs a lot for universities to issue solicitor's letters, employ debt collectors etc, so keeping hold fo the degree cert is really all they can do.

Just to reiterate - he HAS got his degree. He just can't get the certificate till he's no longer a debtor. And he can't go to the graduation ceremony - which is no big deal. Quite fair really. For most employers a transcript along with an explanation will be fine.


ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls · 02/06/2011 11:58

I think as long as you have the transcripts and the uni will confirm he was a student there who got good grades it should be ok. It is something to mention in interviews and not something to be ashamed of. He has bettered himself and worked hard, he has got the grades and he has proved he can do that and work full time too. Don't fret, I know it seems shit at the moment but all the other things put together make for someone who would be a good employee, just because he doesn't have the shiny certificate doesn't change that. Smile


Scholes34 · 02/06/2011 11:59

It's quite usual that a student isn't allowed to graduate if they owe money to the University. However, he will be allowed to attend a graduation ceremony, or take his degree in absence, at a later date once the debt has been paid off. Officially, the degree isn't conferred until the student has graduated (be it in person or in absence), but he's still passed the exams and the University will be able to issue a letter confirming grades. An employer or HEI won't be too concerned that the student hasn't attended a ceremony.

Basically, your DH isn't being denied a degree, it just won't be conferred or given to him officially until he is able to graduate. That will take place when the debt has been sorted. He was very lucky to have been given the loan and the opportunity to continue his studies. I assmue he wasn't eligible for funding through the Access to Learning Fund and a student is only entitled to up to four years' funding through Student Finance.

I think you've misunderstood the situation and DH needs to speak to someone about graduating at a later date.


bubblecoral · 02/06/2011 12:00

How come he has only been paying for two months?


LindyHemming · 02/06/2011 12:06

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?