Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


not to get the wall fixed?

5 replies

bubblecoral · 24/05/2011 18:18

My neighbour is an elderly lady, I don't know her well but she seems lovely.

Our driveways are separated by a very small brick wall, probably about a foot high. It's quite old, so some of the bricks are a bit loose. The neighbour tells me that I own the wall, I haven't checked but I have no reason not to believe her. About a year ago it got knocked by a builder who was working for my neigbour when he reversed into it with his van. It didn't bother me at all, we just put the bricks back and left the two that had come off to sit on top of the others.

Elderly neigbours 'companion', who lives round the corner, has just been round and told us that they have had a quote done to replace the wall, and it would cost £550. She has offered to pay half.

I really couldn't care less about the wall, it does it's job and is fine by me and DH. And we simply don't have a spare £275. If I did, there are plenty of other things that really need doing in the house that would by far take priority. However I know what my Gran is like about things that seem unimportant to me, and I know something like this would genuinely bug her on a daily basis. I politely apologised and told them that there was no way we would be able to afford that.

AIBU? Should I feel guilty?

OP posts:

WinePig · 24/05/2011 18:23

If her builder damaged the wall (regardless off who owns it) then she needs to fix it and consider claiming it back from her builder (or his insurance).

She is cheeky to ask for half if she is responsible for the damage. If he had backed into your car you would not be expecting to pay for half the repairs!!


FabbyChic · 24/05/2011 18:23

Why feel guilty, you were honest and told them you couldn't afford it, leave it at that.


bubblecoral · 24/05/2011 18:29

Thank you.

Her builder did do some damage, but tbh the thing is knackered anyway and if it wasn't so old and crumbly it would probably have done more damage to the van than the wall.

OP posts:

ILoveYouToo · 24/05/2011 18:44

AFAIK, it's usually the boundary wall on the right hand side of the property (if you're looking at the house from the front) that is your responsibility to maintain. You can check your deeds.

YANBU, but I know how this kind of thing can feel really important to an elderly person. It sounds as if you were polite and reasonable, and if it isn't impacting their property in any way (other than looking a bit tatty, presumably), I think you're being reasonable in saying that you can't afford it at the moment.


Laquitar · 24/05/2011 19:03

Can i come and live next to you?

No, i have good neigbours but many people who don't would love to live next to you. You sound very nice and YANBU.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?