Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think that a mocktail party is strange for a twelve year old?

27 replies

kittya · 27/04/2011 00:54

Chocolate shots and other fruit cocktails. Is this a trend?

OP posts:

VajazzHands · 27/04/2011 00:57

I actually think its kind of cute for a 12 year old's party, not on for a 6 yer old though.

kittya · 27/04/2011 01:01

I've never come accross it before. I can cope with the cocktails but I find the shots abit weird, given the fact that real shots make me terribley ill!

OP posts:

VajazzHands · 27/04/2011 01:03

I like the idea of chocolate shots! I used to drink "mocktails" but didn't drink properly till I was 19.. It's just a cool way of saying juice and smoothie party that won't embarrass a 12 year old!

kittya · 27/04/2011 01:07

Yes I get that as long as they don't think they can go to a bar in five years and order one that's not laced with baileys mmmm I want one now! Crumbs parties have come a long way on!

OP posts:

Hatesponge · 27/04/2011 01:08

I think it sounds like a great idea.

kittya · 27/04/2011 01:12

Different and, alot of work!

OP posts:

VajazzHands · 27/04/2011 01:17

So are you having the party or is your DD going to one?

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy · 27/04/2011 01:55

It should only be cause for concern if there's going to be phwoar male strippers or pole/lap-dancing lessons as part of the entertainment.

With luck your DC(s) will return to the fold with a selection of delicious recipes for delectable juices to which you can add the tipple of your choice after they're safely in the land of Nod.

In the Book of Good Parenting this is about as good as it gets.

kittya · 27/04/2011 06:13

My friend has a big fruit shop tomorrow!

OP posts:

hairfullofsnakes · 27/04/2011 06:50

Oh yes, great idea, let's all introduce kids to the idea that you have to drink to have a great time (yes yes I know it's not actually alcohol but the idea is to mimic alcohol isn't it) and that's what's important

So what a great idea

NOT

A totally stupid idea in my opinion and another example of why there is such a binge drink problem in this country

FriedEggyAndSlippery · 27/04/2011 06:59

I think it's a great idea. I do see snakes' point about the implication of alcohol = good time though. I'm just not sure how much impact that'd have compared to all other influences. Hopefully the children would just see it as a bit of a laugh mixing fruit.

gillybean2 · 27/04/2011 07:04

Agree with hairfullofsnakes. If they made it a beach party at which there happened to be 'mocktails' then maybe that'd be different. But to make the whole theme of the party about drinking... Hmm. Will this same child will be having a binge drinking party for their 18th.

And as to the fruit side of it... My ds (in a group of others) made a 'fruit cocktail' at a school sleepover. They were then judged to see which tasted the best. The vast majority were made almost entirely of fizzy drinks. They came second with a combination of coke, lemonade and lime cordial. That doesn't seem very healthy to me.

onlyjuststillme · 27/04/2011 07:12

I dont think cocktail parties are all about the drink. They are about getting made up to the nines and being "sophisticated" and a bit retro. I would have thought that that was more the point of a mocktail party rather than the drinks themselves.

hairfullofsnakes · 27/04/2011 11:30

If it is not about drink then why do choclate 'shots'?!

I despair at the drink attitudes in this country - a lot of which is let's drink and drink and drink until we fall over. And yes, not everyone, but it is common

seeker · 27/04/2011 11:34

We did this for dd's year 6 leavers party. I wanted to pre-empt the hideous "prom" idea, so we had a posh party so the girls could still dress up. We set up lots of little tables with umbrellas and some of the dads dressed up as waiters. There were proper cocktail menus and lots of fancy glasses and stuff. And a live jazz band.

Huge fun had by all - includidn the dads being waiters!

TeddyMcardle · 27/04/2011 11:36

Aw seeker that sounds great [cenvy] I'd like to go to that myself.

kittya · 27/04/2011 13:37

That sounds a lovely party. I think this one is a red carpet theme.

OP posts:

squeakytoy · 27/04/2011 13:39

let's all introduce kids to the idea that you have to drink to have a great time (yes yes I know it's not actually alcohol but the idea is to mimic alcohol isn't it) and that's what's important

How about it is a great idea that shows you dont NEED alcohol to enjoy a drink and have a good time...

I like non-alcoholic cocktails, and on holiday, me and 5yr old grandaughter will happily get the same drinks...

valiumredhead · 27/04/2011 13:41

At ds's leavers disco 9 (yr 4) before going off to middles school, the kids had fake cocktails - they LOVED them and felt so grown up, it was hilarious Grin

VajazzHands · 27/04/2011 13:55

Teenagers binge drink cheap lager and vodka/orange... They can't afford to binge cocktails.. In fact I think we should start trainign chldren to only like cocktails.. It would cure the drink culture immidiatly!

RubberDuck · 27/04/2011 13:59

I think it's a fab idea for a party.

I remember going to the National Eisteddfod with a friend when I was about 14 and there was a tent which served non-alcoholic cocktails which we thought was awesome! It felt so grown-up and sophisticated, but in reality quite wholesome and responsible. Quite sweet when I look back at it Grin

kittya · 27/04/2011 19:33

I've warmed to the idea now but, I don't like the shots idea.

OP posts:

hairfullofsnakes · 27/04/2011 22:31

Bit of a funny way to do it squeakytoy, is the shots bit that i feel is wrong really

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie · 27/04/2011 22:34

I think it sounds lovely tbh. It gives them a chance to dress up and presumably there will be more to the party than just some mock cocktails. Chocolate shots are no different to serving shot glasses with tiny puddings in them, are they?

kittya · 28/04/2011 00:08

Maybe it's just all our bad memories of tequila shots!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?