My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Reaction to pear

6 replies

Lima1 · 14/05/2010 09:53

Hi my DS is allergic to milk egg and peanut, he is 6.5 months old and i started weaning him a couple of weeks ago. I gave a few different root veg and he was fine and then i gave a small bit of pear, the first day he was fine, i gave it the next day and that night and for a good week afterwards he was screaming in pain at night, very windy, arching his back, his eczema flared up badly.

I said this to his dietician and she said she had never heard of anyone reacting to pear and that they would recommend it as a weaning food.

Since then at night when i lie him down after his bottle he will wake within 30 mins aand start screaming and arching his back. It isnt as bad as what it was for the first week after the pear but it is still bad and he is waking every 1-2 hrs at night.
I can sometimes smell sick from his breath and i think he may have a touch of silent reflux.
Has anyone else - or their LO reacted to a food, particularly pear like this?

OP posts:
HappySeven · 14/05/2010 10:08

Look up Oral Allergy Syndrome and you'll find some people are allergic to pear. I'm not saying your LO is but I find it odd that the dietician has never heard of it. I'm guessing he's under a paediatrician so is it worth asking for advice from them for weaning?

Lima1 · 14/05/2010 10:17

Thanks, ill look that up. No he isnt under a paed. We live in Ireland. We were sent to A&E by our GP his eczema was so badly infected (his third staph infection)and they referred me to the dermatology dept who did the RAST and skin prick testing and diagnoised the allergies. Then after 2 months i finally got an appt with dietician who gave info on his allergies and foods to avoid but just said to try all fruit and veg giving for 4 days to see of any reaction.

Obviously im wary of giving more fruit after the pear incident but she doesnt seem to think it will be a problem but im not so sure. We had a terrible week with him after it and his skin is still bad.
I have given sweet pot, carrot,parsnip and butternut squash. Im going to try swede today and then in 4 days intro some lamb.

OP posts:
HappySeven · 14/05/2010 10:31

My nephew has oral allergy syndrome but while the reaction isn't nice for him he's ok and some things affect him more than others. If fruit is cooked he doesn't react and I think that's standard so (I'm assuming you cooked the pear) maybe it's not the same. Sorry, not much use and I hope I haven't worried you unnecessarily.

Hibou · 23/05/2010 21:39

Out of interest what do you give your LO in his bottle?

Lima1 · 01/06/2010 13:37

He drinks Neocate, he has been on it 4 months now.

OP posts:
EmilyBrown · 01/06/2010 13:48

Unfortunately it is possible to be allergic (or intolerant) to anything and it is unfortunate that medical staff still don't know this. Some things are far more common causes of reactions across populations but each individual has a totally individual pattern of things they can't tolerate.

This means your LO may well react to pear (if you have not changed anything else during that time, if they have reflux other things like colds also flare it up) and there is no reason to keep giving pear. It also means there is no reason why they would react to other fruit specifically. Just try to introduce foods individually (Like you say, reactions often come from a second dose and may come with delay) and introduce foods from different groups alternatingly. Do you have access to a list of more and less allergenic foods to try?

However, that does sound like a long time for me... Are there other possible reasons?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.