My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

soya "parmesan"

22 replies

TheWicketKeeperIsDown · 27/11/2009 21:15

Following on from the thread on dairy free cheese, has anyone used soya parmesan and found it edible? We're doing BLW with my egg and CMP-allergic DD, andhaving slowly worked through quite a few ingredients without discovering any more allergies, we're moving onto proper "recipes" and would really like to do meals for all 3 of us when possible. She's remarkably good with her Nutramigen (actually seems to like it - beautiful little weirdo! ) but there's no way that we could face eating sauces made with it. I was wondering about doing lasagne with soya milk for the white sauce, and wondered if the soya parmesan-style cheeses are as vile as the others, in which case I'll just make 2 lasagnes and do hers with Nutramigen and fake parmesan and a nice one for us

OP posts:
thisisyesterday · 27/11/2009 21:18

lol i have yet to find any palatable vegan cheese!
have resigned myself to the fact that it's plain white sauces all the way now

mawbroon · 27/11/2009 21:25

My ds seems to like Parmezano which we get in Sainsbury's.

But he also likes Cheezly which is vile. so perhaps he's not the best judge!!

ilovemydogandmrobama · 27/11/2009 21:29

DS is dairy free and the dietician said to avoid soya and rice milk, so we use Oatly milk and cream for cooking. Agree with thisisyesterday re: fake cheeses. Haven't found a good non dairy one yet.

For lasagnes, I grate bread crumbs and herbs for the top...

TheWicketKeeperIsDown · 27/11/2009 21:38

My DD also seems to like Cheezly, mawbroon . I put it down to the fact that she's never tasted delicious normal cheese and milk! I haven't been able to find ANY non-dairy cheese in Sainsburys.

Good idea about the bread crumbs and herbs instead, ilovemydog.

OP posts:
mawbroon · 27/11/2009 21:43

The Parmazano is in the Free From aisle in Sainbury's. It's not a huge tub, so would be easy to miss.

It's the only one our Sainbury's have. I have to go to Holland & Barrat for the Cheezly stuff.

Luckily ds is starting to be able to tolerate small amounts of cows' stuff, so hopefully we will be able to stop buying it soon.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown · 27/11/2009 21:46

Aaah, found it now on Sainsos online - cheers!

That's great about your DS - hope his tolerance increases! Dreaming of a day when we don't have to worry about this stuff...

OP posts:
thisisyesterday · 27/11/2009 21:48

i can recommend goodnessdirect.co.uk

you have to buy a reasonable amount to get it posted, and the postage is about £7, but they have all sorts and although i make most of our stuff it's nice to know i have a few freezer things we can have, or packaged snacks for ds2 now and then

mawbroon · 27/11/2009 21:51

It's been a long haul for us. 3yrs egg free (allergic) and 2yrs dairy free (intolerent)

I know that's nothing compared to what some of the other ladies on here have to deal with, but light at the end of the tunnel is good.

Hope your dd like the parmazano.

thisisyesterday · 27/11/2009 21:54

oh wow mawbroon, that's good that he's startying to tolerate it.

how have you done that?
ds2 is intolerant to egg and dairy and i don't know whether to cut it right oput absolutely, or whether to keep giving him tiny amounts

mawbroon · 27/11/2009 22:07

Intolerent or allergic thisisyesterday?

With the allergy to egg, I just kept him right off it until his skin test was mild enough for the consultant to suggest a cake trial. He did that in early October and now he can have stuff with small amounts of cooked egg. Next step is a similar trial with a hard boiled egg to see how that goes.

With the dairy, it has just been a case of introducing very small amounts at a time. I watch every poo religiously to see if it changes, and if they start going a bit pale, or soft then we cut back on the dairy for a bit. We saw a dietician who said to start with foods that contain small amounts of milk, then moving on to cooked milk eg in custard/rice pudding, then on to cheese then yogurt and finally straight milk. But she was talking about teaspoons at a time and doing it gradually.

Have you been referred to a dietician at all?I could have done with it 3 yrs ago, but the consultant only referred us when it was looking like ds might be able to tolerate stuff again.

UnseenAcademicalMum · 27/11/2009 22:18

The soya parmasan is yeuk. That said, I suppose as children they've not known any different so might find it OK.

I find the toffutti cream "cheeses" are pretty good and they also do a soya mozerella which makes a passable cheese sauce.

Mainly though for cheese sauce we use oatly cream with the Dairy Free Cheese Sauce powder you can buy in the Free From section at Tescos and a good scoop of toffutti cream cheese with herbs added in.

Would second the poster who recommends www.goodnessdirect.co.uk, I get quite a bit from there and the service has been excellent so far (despite using far too much packaging...)

thisisyesterday · 27/11/2009 22:22

only intolerant afaik
we realised he was reacting to it via my breast milk as a baby and was fine once i cut it out of my diet.
he hasn't had allergy tests though, there was a reason i didn't ask for them but i can't remember what now!

anyway if he has any egg or dairy now we have vile smelling, explosive poo, although he seems ok in himself iyswim?

thisisyesterday · 27/11/2009 22:24

oooh unseenacademicmum, i hadn't thought of putting the cream cheese in the dairy-fre cheese powder.
we do use that sometimes but it def needs a bit of something, will try that

trixymalixy · 27/11/2009 23:39

I just make a bechamel sauce for lasagne using oatly and oatly cream for all of us and then DH just sprinkles grated parmesan over his portion.

The oatly milk is the nearest tasting substitute to milk IMHO.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown · 28/11/2009 10:29

Thanks everyone - loads of variations to try now! I think I will be spending most of 2010 making lasagne...

OP posts:
kennythekangaroo · 28/11/2009 21:34

I found this recipe for enchiladas which were quite nice. I then used the cheesy sauce in lasagne which was yummy.

Nutritional yeast is flaky powder which I found in our health food shop quite easily. It adds quite nice flavour to other pasta dishes too.

thisisyesterday · 28/11/2009 21:35

ahh yes i can second the nutritional yeast too, we chuck it in a lot of stuff.

CokeFan · 28/11/2009 21:46

We like the Tofutti cheese spread type stuff too. DD's allergic to CMP and egg, although she's tolerated egg in cake but not in cream crackers for some reason.

Most of the lasagne sheets have got egg in them, haven't they?

We were also told not to use rice milk (too much arsenic) so we have soya milk. Tried Oatly but she didn't like it. We all agreed that Nutramigen is just not pleasant.

I can see I'm going to have to scan the Free From aisle more closely in future - I've been getting stuff from our nearest health food shop, which is a bit of a pain to get to.

What's nutritional yeast for?

UnseenAcademicalMum · 28/11/2009 22:40

For lasagne sheets without eggs, the Tesco Value ones don't have eggs and neither do the Aldi ones.

ilovemydogandmrobama · 28/11/2009 22:43

love the new name...

UnseenAcademicalMum · 28/11/2009 22:45
Grin
TheWicketKeeperIsDown · 29/11/2009 21:08

The Sainsos own lasagne don't have egg in them either.

This is great everyone - all ideas really appreciated!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.