My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

What do you do when your child gets too old for hypoallergenic formula?

8 replies

Picante · 06/07/2009 14:55

DS is 3.3 and still has Neocate on prescription . TBH I'm surprised the GP is still letting me have it.

He seems to have grown out of his dairy allergy but has adverse effects if he has too much - so he can have it on his cereal but not to drink iyswim.

He won't drink soya - I think it's too sweet for him, and he won't touch goat's milk.

What else can I do? He's still a bit of a milk monster, having a large beaker at night and another in the morning, so I can't just stop altogether.

Thanks.

OP posts:
girlsyearapart · 06/07/2009 15:53

We were told our dd 9mo can have Nutramigen AA on prescription till 18mo then will put her on a supervised 'milk reintroduction' programme. Have they suggested that for your ds? Not sure what happens if that doesn't work though. How about rice milk?

babybarrister · 06/07/2009 22:18

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

idunnop · 07/07/2009 10:38

you can get unsweetened soya milk in cartons if the sweetness is a problem. DD (21 months) is currently on soya formula but we've been told to switch her onto regular soya milk at 2yo.

simpson · 07/07/2009 12:18

DD (17mths) is going to be on neocate for a while too and least until she is 2.6 then slowly try dairy/soya in her diet.

Picante · 07/07/2009 12:58

Thanks ladies I shall try some of these.

OP posts:
inmysparetime · 09/07/2009 13:44

ds is still getting wysoy on prescription and he's 8 in September.
Spoke to docs and they can't get liquid milk alternatives on prescription, so i just keep filling in the repeat form and the wysoy just keeps on coming!

AcademicMum · 09/07/2009 14:38

If he's happy on neocate and the GP is still willing to prescribe, I'd just keep the status quo to be honest. I know the Neocate Advance is aimed at children from 1-10 years, so at 3.3 you've still got a while yet!

Picante · 09/07/2009 16:17

Oh thanks AM I didn't know that! Will keep it going and not mention his age to the gp - thanks!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.