My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Non-drowsy hayfever relief. What do you use?

5 replies

LastOrders · 11/06/2009 11:30

Please recommend to me what you use, as I'm having a hell of a time this year and am incredibly drowsy. (Went back to bed twice during the day yesterday )

I've tried Loratadine from the Doctors, I'm now on Lloyds pharmacy Cetirizine 1 a day tabs, but both make me zombified.

What could you recommend?

And has anyone tried that infared thing that Lloyds are selling at the moment?

Thanks

OP posts:
12StoneNeedsToBe10 · 11/06/2009 11:35

Claritine (sp?) always worked for me and never made me feel even slightly sleepy.

ThingOne · 11/06/2009 11:41

I use cetirizine (1 a day). My DH uses acrivastine (more a day). I've been taking mine for 18 months. Maybe you just need to get used to one? Maybe it's something else making you drowsy - like the hayfever itself? My allergies aren't generally too bad as long as I keep the lid on. My DH's are worse and he has had to go to bed a few times because of the hayfever (or dust, his other thang).

Have you talked to your GP since you got the loratadine?

Not tried the infared thing. I talked to the pharmacist about it last year and she swore it was evidence-based!

kittycats · 11/06/2009 22:55

i use cetirizine one a day but am so sleepy ive had to leave work early.

The loratadine made me feel really wierd, had to stop taking them.

LastOrders · 12/06/2009 09:40

I'm glad to hear that someone else is suffering the effects of cetirizine too.

I don't think non-sufferers realise how wearing it is.

I feel like I've not slept in months!

OP posts:
Paupy · 12/06/2009 09:44

I never would have thought it before I tried it, but I've found homeopathic remedies really useful this year as pregnancy has placed my normal drugs off-limits. There are a range of remedies available depending on what symptoms you have, so you need to talk to a homeopath to find which one might be right for you. They take longer to work than remedies, but there's no drowsiness and they're cheap too (I paid just over £4 for a bottle of Nux Vomica a couple of months ago, take it daily and am only about 1/3 of the way through it).

Otherwise, I find Rhinocort nasal spray is the only thing that stops the sneezing / itching symptoms. It's also drowsiness-free, but is steroid-based, so only available on prescription.

Good luck!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.