My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Pregestimil - first day and she absolutely hates it, did yours and did they come around to the taste or shall I ask GP for something else?

3 replies

Janus · 12/05/2009 19:20

Title says it all really!!
Just started this today as seems dd3 may be milk intolerant (we have a hospital appointment in a month to check out allergies).
She absolutely hated it, wouldn't take more than the first couple mouth fulls, until she realised it was different basically.
I think our problem may be that she is one on Saturday and so, I think, notices the change much more than if she was a few weeks old.
I believe most people have said Pepti or Pepti Junior is the better tasting, are these two different things or when you say 'Pepti' does this actually mean 'Pepti Junior'? Just wanted to go back to the GP and ask for a different prescription and want to ask for the right thing.
My other thought was to try SMA Wysoy as it says that is milk and lactose free (and I think it could be lactose intolerance as I thought she was doing a bit better when we started using lactose free milk for cooking). Does anyone else use this formula or know of a reason why I shouldn't?
Thanks so much, I am coming on here regularly at the moment as I get such good advice so sorry for boring you all with so many questions!

OP posts:
PolkSaladLucie · 12/05/2009 19:52

I was warned about Wysoy by my HV, but my daughter was 7 weeks at the time.

She has Nutramigen, which is a hyperallergenic cow's milk formula. It's basiclly heated to break down the cow's milk proteins so that they don't recognise it as cow's milk and don't react to it.

Might be worth looking into?

AcademicMum · 13/05/2009 00:00

My ds2 has pepti junior (and is almost exactly the same age as your dd - he's 1 tomorrow!). He started it at around 8 months or so after we tried all the others and he rejected them. He drank this one pretty well from the start and is now BF 2-3 times per day with Pepti Junior in between. It is different from Pepti. Pepti has the milk proteins extensively broken down, but does contain lactose and so is useful to help prevent development of secondary lactose intolerance (the enzyme which breaks down lactose is produced on a supply and demand basis and so if you don't eat anything with lactose in, eventually you can become lactose intolerant). Pepti Junior has the proteins extensively broken down, contains no lactose and is also supposed to be better when children have malabsorption issues.

Pepti tastes pretty much like standard formula and pepti junior tastes better than most other hypoallergenic formulas but has a slightly more "acid" smell to it than Pepti. I'd ask the GP if you can try the Pepti Junior though. Usually they are quite willing, it's cheaper than the other hypoallergenic formulas.

Janus · 13/05/2009 20:53

Thanks AcademicMum, first of all, hope yours has a lovely first birthday!
I rang the GP and spoke to secretary and suggested we try Pepti (sorry, hadn't seen your post then). I'm thinking Pepti is good to start as don't want her to be lactose intolerant too (if she isn't already as we haven't been diagnosed yet) as I hope if she is dairy intolerant we can reintroduce it at some stage so would be bad if the formula then led her to be lactose intolerant and we then had to avoid dairy all over again, IYSWIM.
It's got to be worth a shot. It is beginning to really tire me out as she is pretty whingey (sp?) all day. The only difference seems to be a change of scene so I keep going for random walks down the highstreet! Does the irritation seem to let up when they get on to the formula (she says in a hopeful voice!)?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.