My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

eczema and the garden

10 replies

Servalan · 08/04/2009 09:31

My DD (aged 2.8) has problems with eczema.

In the last couple of weeks she's developed some eczema around her wrists. It looks quite sore and the skin is broken.

At the moment with the lovely weather she is enjoying playing in the garden. One of the things she loves doing is digging around in the soil. Today the eczema looks worse and I am wondering about whether playing in the soil is going to
(a) irritate the eczema
(b) be harmful because of the broken skin.

I have eczema on my hands, but I wear gardening gloves in the garden. Is there anything similar out there for toddlers?

Also, when washing her hands is there any handwash you would recommend for her?

Thanks

OP posts:
Bramshott · 08/04/2009 09:41

I can sympathise - I have really bad exzema on my wrists at the moment, and it's always worse after going in the garden. I think it's the dust and plants rather than the soil which irritates mine.

You can indeed get small gardening gloves. You could also try wrist bands maybe?

Servalan · 08/04/2009 10:00

Thanks. Any idea who might do toddler sized gloves? I've just run a search and can't find anyone in the UK

OP posts:
Servalan · 08/04/2009 10:47

Bump

OP posts:
TheSynOddOneOfWhitby · 08/04/2009 10:59

I have just put 'child gardening gloves' into ebay and there are quite a few come up including some smashing polka dot ones. Also Google Shopping.

TheSynOddOneOfWhitby · 08/04/2009 11:01

I just use simple products for everything from handwash to soap to talc to make up remover etc.

christywhisty · 08/04/2009 12:19

ELC used to child sized gardening gloves, not sure if they still do

chloesmumtoo · 08/04/2009 15:32

My dd uses the special eczema gloves for crafts ect as they are totally cotton and so dont make her sweat excessively. Obviously I know they cost alot and so for use in the garden my sound terrible but my dd would find it to bad to wear gloves out on hot days that were not 100 percent cotton. you can find them on www.eczemaclothing.com They wash at 60 degrees

chloesmumtoo · 08/04/2009 15:33

unfortunately they are white

mamadiva · 08/04/2009 15:44

Myself and my DS have bad eczema on our hands, we both use Simple handwash seems to do the trick just fine. I always put moisturiser on our hands after washing to just a quite rub with Aqueious because washing dries the skin.

I don't know if there is anything that you could use as gloves TBH I know my DS would'nt be happy wearing gloves if was warm outside, not sure TBH. I know it's not ideal but how about getting her a pair of 'mummys' rubber gloves and just tell her she has to wear them when she's digging?

Servalan · 08/04/2009 23:38

Thanks for your responses. Sorry I didn't post to say that before - am trying to potty train DD at the moment, which means no time to Mumsnet

I'll look into those eczema gloves. Also I'll get some Simple handwash for DD. Unfortunately Aqueous seems to exacerbate (sp?) her condition. I find it brilliant on my hands, just not on hers!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.