My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

DS just had his bloods done for coeliac....

6 replies

wangle99 · 22/12/2008 11:29

They did the EMA test this time rather than the TTG one - anyone know if this is more reliable?

Also asked them to do the IGA gluten antibody test as well but not sure whether they will do this one.

Fingers crossed we get an answer!

OP posts:
whispywhisp · 22/12/2008 11:38

Good luck. My DD1 had the coeliac test earlier last week and the antibody one. I forgot to ask how long the results take. She had coeliac done earlier this year but cant remember how long the results took.

Why did your DS have them done? Has he been poorly? My DD1 has IBS and has had it for just over a year. She's only 10.

bramblebooks · 22/12/2008 11:49

fingers crossed for you - dh is coeliac and ds2 is diabetic (there's a link).

wangle99 · 22/12/2008 12:02

The results takes 2 weeks, (that is how long his last tests took).

DS has been poorly for a LONG time, he has been wheat free for a year and a half but I realised gluten is affecting him also. He had the coeliac test last August but I don't think he was eating enough gluten to get a good result. He's been back on wheat/gluten for six weeks and it affects his bowels and behaviour so badly its a nightmare so am so hoping we get a result!

OP posts:
whispywhisp · 22/12/2008 12:07

wangle...I hope you get your results soon then...tbh I don't know the difference between EMA or TTG. I didn't know there were two versions of the coeliac test.

I don't expect to get any results for DD1 until after Xmas.

misscutandstick · 22/12/2008 19:06

im not convinced those tests actually work anyway TBCH, DS2 and DS5 had the tests done - terrible diorrhea, pale floaty stinky poo, crippling tummy aches, headaches, panda faces, headaches, bloated tummies, awful behaviour, DS5 is very thin and skinny (weighs the same as a year old baby at 2.6y), the list goes on, and RESULTS??? came back CLEAR and fine !?!

however within 2-3wks of removal of gluten/wheat (and dairy for DS5) symptoms 'magically' dissapear, and paed thinks im being hypochondriac!

if your child is better without the gluten and/or wheat then cut it out, whatever the tests say. I couldnt stand another day of watching my children being so ill just to prove something to the docs, who incidentally dont see these children before and after something they should NOT have eaten!

wangle99 · 22/12/2008 21:04

misscutandstick - did you get the gluten antibody test done as well? They can be gluten intolerant and not be coeliac it is quite common.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.