My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Anyone know where to get dairy/soya/wheat/gluten free yoghurts and chees please?

30 replies

eddiejo · 01/09/2008 17:43

My DS5 has to now stop dairy and soya as well as wheat and gluten. Am struggling with what I can put in his lunchbox and where to get replacements like cheese etc (if they're available.
Thank

OP posts:
GordonTheGopher · 01/09/2008 17:46

Alpro do both longlife deserts and fresh yogurts - all from tesco.

Show me a dairy-free cheese that doesn't taste like plastic and I'll marry you.

eddiejo · 01/09/2008 17:51

I just looked a the alpro and i think it said soya??

OP posts:
eddiejo · 01/09/2008 17:52

THank you tho!!

OP posts:
Gonkster · 01/09/2008 18:08

Try Sheese - made on the isle of bute and their cheddar cheese flavour spread (it's soft but tastes of cheddar!)is surprisingly palatable. I wouldn't choose it for a dinner party... but my DD loves it. They do lots of other stuff too of a cheesy variety. And I use Pure margarine (sunflower oil) avail at Sainsburys. My DD is only cows milk protein intolerant so can have soya stuff, so these are my only recommendations but very good luck.

GordonTheGopher · 01/09/2008 18:09

God sorry didn't read op properly!

eddiejo · 01/09/2008 19:18

No worries GTG !!

Thanks Gonkster.

OP posts:
staryeyed · 01/09/2008 19:21

I dont think soy free yoghurts and cheese exist- Ds is gluten free, dairy free, soy free. If you do find some please let me know.

eddiejo · 01/09/2008 19:29

stareyed- is it really difficult to cut out all these? He's always had allergy to wheat and gluten and now it probably even more. Is your DS at school? and what do you do for lunches?

OP posts:
eddiejo · 01/09/2008 19:30

spelt that wrong didn't I

OP posts:
earlyriser · 01/09/2008 19:36

I used to make my own soya yoghurt using soya milk that had been left out as a starter. No idea if this would work with rice milk, but maybe worth a try? good luck, it is really hard work with such a restricted diet.

pagwatch · 01/09/2008 19:38

if you are looking for linch box ideas have you got the AiA cookbook by Marilyn Le Breton.
All the recipes are gfcf and additive free. Many are soya free too.
and goodness direct website is good to

tatt · 01/09/2008 20:14

is he actually coeliac or seriously allergic? If not then I recommend Biocare Glutenzyme Plus. You can buy these on the net in lots of stores and they are great. Instructions are not too clear but one with each meal means I don't have symptoms . They aren't cheap but neither is gluten free food.

If he has a true allergy they may not help, depends what his problem is.

eddiejo · 01/09/2008 20:51

He has true allergy to wheat at the moment and suspecting Gluten, soya, dairy and maybe more. Feel so sorry for him - I'm coeliac etc but this is even harder.

OP posts:
eddiejo · 01/09/2008 20:51

Thanks pagwatch.

OP posts:
tatt · 02/09/2008 07:39

Alpro is soya. Do you think he'll be allowed oats as you could possibly make your own flapjacks. As you're coeliac you'll know about contamination risks.

Dove gluten free flour have a recipe on the packet for breadmakers. I made this with rice milk once and it worked OK - in fact it tasted more breadlike than when made with cows milk. I made up sandwiches and froze them. Obviously it's not the same as normal bread but it's edible.

You can little pots of jelly and fruit or get some tupperware and make your own as they are expensive (but offers on at the co-op this week).

Sainsburys have a good free from selection. I don't know if the gluten free items are also dairy and soya free but worth checking. If your local butcher can make gluten free sausages you could put cold sausage in with rice cakes. There is a sunflower spread available in Asda that I'm told is a reasonable alternative to peanut butter. Don't know if it's also dairy free. Some websites sell suitable items too but delivery tends to be expensive.

staryeyed · 02/09/2008 12:35

Eddiejo. If you cook from scratch at home it can be ok- things like shepherds pie etc we just leave out milk and cheese and ds still enjoys. We can do curry easily and lots of potato/rice based meals, beef burgers without breadcrumbs, roast chicken etc. There is gluten, dairy and soy free bread that he has for toast ditto for cereals. You can also get chocolate cake mixes biscuits, fishfingers etc from supermarket.

Its much cheaper to cook form home becasue free from food can be expensive £2 for a pack of biscuits. Gren and blacks also do dairy and soy free chocolate- I think the 85% bar which Ds loves but its quite bitter.

HTH

AbricotsSecs · 02/09/2008 12:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs · 02/09/2008 12:55

Message withdrawn

staryeyed · 02/09/2008 12:57

no the 70% G&B one does the 85% one doesn't. I checked on the website.

AbricotsSecs · 02/09/2008 15:08

Message withdrawn

staryeyed · 02/09/2008 15:19

Oh bloody hell! I just checked again and they have changed the label to include milk because apparently they have found traces of milk on the bar and soy. However, on an old 85%bar I have it lists neither soy lecithin or milk.

here is the link:www.greenandblacks.com/uk/faqanswer.php?fid=55

Now I feel terrible. I hope no-one goes to buy it.

staryeyed · 02/09/2008 15:22

The G&B website used to have this table that showed which products were soy and dairy free and that was the only one.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

eddiejo · 03/09/2008 17:50

Well, have hunted the shops for two days for bits and bobs for lunches and today (first day back !) he did ok and ate it. He has a newly qualified teacher nd so had to write a note to her to update her!

Have read all your advice and thank you all very much. Only cheeses I found had soy lecithin in - what is this and can he have it if he is soya free ??

Am waiting on appt for dietician - don't hold out much hope tho - she was pretty useless last time. Has anyone got a list of prescribable wheat/gluten/dairy/soya free food as GP is quite ok about putting things on presciption?

OP posts:
dreadedsquirrel · 04/09/2008 23:54

Hi, new to here - hello to all!

Just thought I'd add that the Swiss Couveture has hazelnut in it so if anyone avoiding nuts as well it's a no no Traidcraft do a dark chocolate that has no milk or soy and is yummy.

Not really suitable for a lunch box but as a treat B'Nice rice milk 'ice cream' is really really yummy and although the choc one has soya lecithin in it the vanilla one doesn't.

I have feeling that somewhere I've seen a rice milk cheese substitute, will try and find out where. And I'm intrigued as to how to go about making rice milk yoghurt...

mummypig · 05/09/2008 01:13

hi ds1 used to be cow's milk and soya intolerant and we have some gluten sensitive people in the family too so I have been through this. there's a yoghurt alternative called 'rice and rice' made in Italy I think which our local healthfood shop stocks. Very sweet though, so I tended to make my own set custard thing with rice milk eggs sugar and cornflour and sometimes with flavouring. Or just do homemade pots of fruit/ fruit puree.

I have successfully made gluten free bread with the Doves Farm gf bread flour and rice milk. I use slightly more oil and less rice milk than suggested on the packet.

i would avoid soya lecithin as well, at least at first.

The M&S fair trade dark chocolate bar I bought the other day was free from all the things you're avoiding.

Plamil tends to use soya as a milk substitute, but I thought some of their bars used pea protein instead. However I've just been looking on their website and I can't find that information so I either imagined it or they have changed the ingredients.

We used to eat lots of rice cakes. And the best spread I found was Pure with sunflower - the yellow tubs not the organic blue ones as they have soya in them.

And instead of looking for cheese substitutes we ate loads of hoummous! Strangely ds1 can't stand hoummous now.

better go as ds3 is waking up

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.