My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Could this be an intolerance to strawberries?

6 replies

lucy5 · 04/04/2008 13:50

Last night shortly after having strawberries ds started to really cry, screaming and sobbing and a red hot blotchy rash came up over his shoulders. It went down in about 20 minutes. The strawberries were cut up so I doubt he even had a whole one. He has eaten strawberry yoghurt and yoghurt with strawberry puree in. The last time I offered him Strawberries he wasn't interested.

OP posts:
totalmisfit · 04/04/2008 13:54

it could be - strawberry allergies are pretty common amongst toddlers and babies according to the doctor i saw when we started to suspect dd was allergic to tomatoes. It sounds quite similar to what she went through - rash and crying etc but to be on the safe side speak to your GP about your concerns. It might be that they recommend cutting them out of the diet for a certain length of time because the good news is strawberry and tomatoe allergies/intolerances tend to be something young children grow out of.

lucy5 · 04/04/2008 14:00

Thanks, he does get a red face if he eats tomatoes.

OP posts:
JingleyJen · 04/04/2008 14:01

Lucy that is exactly what happens to our neighbour when he eats strawberries. (he is 40 and only developed this in the last 5 years)

fizzbuzz · 04/04/2008 14:43

This used to happen to me when I ate strawberries when I was little.

I don't get it now though...

Jacanne · 04/04/2008 14:59

DD1 gets hives (itchy red rash that comes and goes) from raspberries and pineapples - but only if they're fresh - she has no probs with them in yoghurts etc. Another name for hives is "strawberry rash" so it could be that.

williamsmummy · 05/04/2008 12:26

Anything with hives is not INTOLERANCE>
I would stop giving your child anything with strawberries in.

Reactions to fresh fruit, is accosiated with oral allergy symdrome. Which can be mild, but in some cases be extreme, depending on persons histroy.

get medical advice, make a note of it in childs health records.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.