My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Aveeno - which product is best for an adult, please?

9 replies

WendyWeber · 06/02/2008 22:26

DS1 (19) has fluctuating eczema - it tends to flare up worst on his face and hands, but he also has v dry & sensitive skin on his upper arms, chest and back.

He is in the Alps atm and struggling with the cold air. The only kind I could find locally was the big bottle of lotion, which I have posted to him (last Friday, he hasn't got it yet, tsk)

I also posted 2 prescription tubes of eumovate (?) steroid ointment, and some evening primrose capsules, and a small tube of eucerin (?) concentrated cream, but if we could find something which would reliably fend it off all over without needing chemicals that would be brill.

TIA

OP posts:
Califrau · 07/02/2008 00:31

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WendyWeber · 07/02/2008 11:10

Thanks, Cf - sadly (from this pov) he's in France - he has seen a GP (v unhelpful - they're not keen on the influx of Brits apparently) when he had an allergic reaction to something and his face swelled up. Unhelpful GP prescribed something and the pharmacist said it would help (and it has afaik) but he didn't ask for any skin things and although I keep telling him to go and ask he hasn't.

(He only gets paid £70 a week and he had to pay the GP 20+ euros for a 2-min consultation and then 30+ for whatever was prescribed and he'd rather buy beer )

OP posts:
Califrau · 07/02/2008 18:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bran · 07/02/2008 18:14

DS isn't an adult but I use [[http://www.soft-skin.co.uk/cgi-bin/cp-app.pl?usr=51F2296512&rnd=8730736&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff= &pg=prod&ref=AV110&cat=AV&catstr=HOME:AV this one] on him. It is very rich and keeps him well moisturised for hours.

bran · 07/02/2008 18:14

Pants! this

WendyWeber · 07/02/2008 18:47

Oh thank you, bran - I was looking at that one earlier and thought it sounded like a good place to start! Is it OK for faces too or do you use something else for DS's face?

OP posts:
bran · 07/02/2008 19:42

Yes, I put that on his face when he has an outbreak there, only on the bits with excema though, whereas on his body I smooth it on all over. It seems fine on the face. Sometimes I use it on my face when the weather is very cold and windy as my skin gets quite sore and dry. It's too rich and heavy to use on the face unless there is extreme dry skin though.

bran · 07/02/2008 19:44

That should be eczema, I really must learn to spell it correctly. (Can you spell it the other way too?)

WendyWeber · 09/02/2008 21:58

You can spell it any way you like, darling

(excema looks like the right spelling anyway!)

I emailed the soft-skin website a few days ago and have had a v nice reply from someone there whose small child also has eczema. She mentioned 5 separate products, including your one, so I have been poring over the website (and getting more and more confused!)

She said they have samples of some products, so I must reply and see which ones we can try; if I bought everything she suggested it would cost £45, so it would be good to find out first which ones help most, or if any make it worse.

(DS1 has still not received my parcel, after 8 days; I sent it recorded delivery because of the cost of the contents, but I'm sure that makes it take much longer )

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.