Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can you suddenly become allergic to nuts?

Greenplant7 · 21/06/2022 21:56

I have no allergies but had an operation a couple of weeks ago and every time I eat nuts since my lips start to tingle. Is this just a random coincidence or have I developed a nut allergy?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Beecham · 21/06/2022 21:59

My friend developed a severe seafood allergy from nowhere, so I'd imagine that it's possible for the same thing to happen with nuts. Hopefully yours won't get worse. Perhaps chat with your GP?

Please
or

MammaWeasel · 21/06/2022 22:05

Yes, you can suddenly develop allergies out of nowhere. My grown up chef son developed a severe allergy to finned fish when he was about 20. Which was a shame as he always adored fish.

Please
or

Greenplant7 · 21/06/2022 22:06

Thanks both, will book a doctors appointment x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cuwins · 21/06/2022 22:09

Yes my friend did as a teenager after a serious illness, no allergies prior and after anaphylactic to nuts

Please
or

Jackiebrambles · 21/06/2022 22:34

Yes my friend developed quite a serious nut allergy at about 35! She now has to carry an epi pen.

Please
or

Butterfly44 · 21/06/2022 22:36

Yes you can!

Please
or

YukoandHiro · 21/06/2022 22:38

Yes,you can at any time. There have been reports of allergies developing after covid, and after pregnancy or other hormonal shifts is another common tkme.
Definitely discuss with your GP and maybe start carrying a packet of antihistamines with you in case you have hives or lip swelling

Please
or

Nightmanagerfan · 21/06/2022 22:41

Absolutely. Anyone can develop an allergy to anything at any time, even if they’ve previously been exposed to the allergen. Your risk of developing an allergy is higher if you don’t have regular exposure to an allergen though.

Since my DS was diagnosed with a severe nut and peanut allergy we have fewer nuts in the house. I then had a reaction to pistachio twice in a row and realised it may have been two or three years since I’d eaten them. As I’ve had the reaction twice i now avoid pistachio, which is a shame as it’s a delicious flavour.

Please
or

Dinoteeth · 21/06/2022 22:41

Yes, a friend developed a serious wheat allergy in their 30s. Came out of nowhere.

Please
or

HeadacheEarthquake · 21/06/2022 22:54

Yep. I could eat as many peanuts (not a nut, I know, but any food allergies in general included for context) as I liked til I was 22. Used to scoff them and love snickers, peanut butter and satay.

Then one day 💥 boom

Ten years without peanuts

Very sad :(

Please
or

minou123 · 21/06/2022 22:54

Yep. I suddenly became allergic to chilli🌶 when I was about 25.
Bloody annoying as I love spicy food.
At first my lips tingled, the swelled up, like I had bad lip fillers.
Them my face completely swelled up, to the point I couldn't see, as my eye lids covered my eyes.
I ended up in a&e because I started to not be able to breathe.

I asked the same question and the doctor explained you can develop allergies from nowhere.

Please
or

EL8888 · 21/06/2022 22:57

Yes. Allergies can come and go randomly. My brother used to be able to eat apples but can’t due to the itching and swelling. I used to be allergic to avocados but lm not now. My peanut allergy is long term and l can’t see that changing now

Please
or

Yarnasaurus · 21/06/2022 23:03

Yup.

You can only be allergic to something you've previously been exposed to but it can happen at any time, from second exposure to 1000th, and at any age.

Please
or

allboysherebutme · 21/06/2022 23:04

Yes. I have allergies since I had Covid. X

Please
or

Greenplant7 · 22/06/2022 12:11

Thanks for your stories, very useful to know. Thought I was going nuts and imagining it (terrible pun apologies)

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.