Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Self explore gluten intolerance ?

Danny94 · 21/06/2022 00:14

Hi i have issues with intolerances from a lot of foods and i want to self explore the most common ones.

I bought a hydrogen/methan breath testing device, which should be able to detect a few things like lactose, fructose, inulin, sorbitol (foodmaps, no clue how legit it works).
Usually you take a small amount of pure 25g lactose for example and check if hydrogen in your breath increase over a period of time.
I have already asked the customer support about gluten, but they couldnt give me an answer. I have found a study which claimed hydrogen breath testing for gluten could be an alternative, but it was a low quality study.

Anyway i have found pure gluten powder (ultra cheap thanks to seitan cookers) and want to try it out.

Can anyone give me a suggestion how much gram i should try to consume to feel any difference ?
If gluten does not increase hydrogen in breath but i feel worse would that mean i could suffer from gluten intolerance/sensititvity ? Or does pure gluten at a given amount always cause issues ?
Are there other ways to self explore issues with gluten ? I cant cut off gluten for a few weeks to see any difference as i have a lot of other issues going on.

OP's posts:
Please
or

alexdgr8 · 21/06/2022 00:16

see a doctor

Please
or

WannabeGilmoreGirl · 21/06/2022 00:33

See a doctor and get a gluten test. It's a simple blood yest and will save you a lot of worry

Please
or

Fairislefandango · 01/07/2022 16:38

There isn't a test for gluten intolerance though, only coeliac disease. So if you aren't coeliac but might be gluten intolerant, there is no way of knowing except trial and error. Your doctor absolutely can test for lactose intolerance though. I don't think the buy-it-online type tests are supposed to be legit in any way at all.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.