Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I have a nut allergy- how do I safely wean LO?

FolkloreEvermore · 30/05/2022 18:37

My DD is six months soon ish so I’m starting to think about weaning.
The issue is that I have a severe nut allergy. Any form of contact (used to) set off anaphylactic shock. Admittedly I haven’t had much exposure in the last few years as I’ve been super careful.
I suppose I’m concerned about there being an elevated risk of her being allergic. But, also, how do I ensure she’s exposed to nuts (to reduce likelihood of an allergy) when I can’t touch them. I appreciate she could maybe have something whilst I’m away and DH could clean and change her etc, but I’m concerned about remnants but also about nappies etc.
Am I missing something? Is there guidance on this? Could the GP or health visitor help?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Notacottish · 30/05/2022 18:43

Hi. I also have a severe nut allergy and went through the same thought process. We actually took our daughter to a paediatric allergy consultant before I started weaning her and he said to expose her to as many allergens as we could (safely). It was hard but we made sure my husband fed her things like peanut butter and peanut puff crisps and other nuts when I was out for the day or he took her to his parents for the weekend. They had to make sure the house was clean afterwards and hands were clean and teeth properly cleaned but they got into a routine and I never had a reaction from it. I hope you can manage to make the same arrangement. Good luck 💐

Please
or

FolkloreEvermore · 30/05/2022 20:45

Thank you this is very helpful @Notacottish
When you introduced did you do it in small quantities in case they’re allergic? Would the paediatrician not do allergy testing?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Notacottish · 31/05/2022 05:53

Hi. Yes they did the allergy testing and she came up very mildly allergic (teeny tiny dots) to peanuts so they said keep exposing her as much as possible to reduce the likelihood of the allergy developing. The problem with testing pre weaning is that allergies can develop over time and with exposure so it’s not fail safe. (And we had to pay for it privately. But it was worth it). And yes, very small quantities only to begin with. Good luck. Ps love your user name. I’m a swiftie too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.