My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

one of the little boys coming to dd1's 'make-your-own pizza' b'day party has a peanut allergy - advice please?

7 replies

geekgirl · 28/06/2007 11:29

Dd1 will be 8 in a few weeks and will be having her party at home - they'll make their own pizzas (well, put the toppings on) and then watch a film.
We've had the little boy over before for parties & to stay for tea so hopefully his mum will be fine with him coming, she's always been happy with me giving him the food we've made - do you think it'll be ok for him to make his own pizza like everyone else - dh is going to make the dough from scratch and the toppings will just be the usual things... anything I need to consider?

(want to get it right IYSWIM - not make him feel excluded, but equally not make his mum feel awkward if she'd rather provide food for him - I don't know her that well)

OP posts:
francagoestohollywood · 28/06/2007 11:37

don't know much about allergies, but pizza sounds pretty safe? Unless he is allergic to tomato as well... but then you can make a "white" pizza, with different kinds of cheese? Or you can ask his mum what he can't have (other than peanut)

Caroline1852 · 28/06/2007 11:38

I would give her a list of the ingredients you are going to use to make the pizzas (right down to the brand of flour used for the dough) including the toppings and ask her if there is anything that might present her son with a problem.

geekgirl · 28/06/2007 11:49

list of ingredients is a good idea, thanks

he is only allergic to peanuts - he was over for tea a few months ago and that was definitely the only thing...

OP posts:
Julia76 · 28/06/2007 11:51

I have a ds with a severe peanut allergy & pizza sound safe. There are no ingredients in doughs, pizza toppings that would worry me if it was my ds attending the party. Some indian chicken (like satey especially) contains peanut oil , so just check if using chicken or indian coated meats like this, but tbh you probably will not be having toppings like tihs anyway assume. The only other thing to be thinking about is making sure that your home is free from the allergen as if any of your family have been eating peanuts etc that day or day before then the peanut oil can stay present for some time after as apparently quite hard to get rid of & an allergic person can have a reaction through cross contamination. when my ds goes anywhere I make a point in making sure that the person understands the seriousness of it & that even if the allergic person does not eat it, that there is the cross cotamination issue, So just double check with the mum & ask her if there is anything else you should know. Does this child have a epipen? If so you need to ask her to tell her what to do in the event of an attack. Hope this has helped.

TransfiguratingLily · 28/06/2007 11:53

My dd has a peanut allergy and is going to a party tomorrow. I had a chat with the mum and she is happy to be carefull and avoid nuts. And I'll be nearby if there's a problem. I feel so gratefull to the mum for not being too intimidated by the allergy to invite dd.
So well done, I'm sure the little boys mum feels equally pleased Making a pizza sounds fine.

KerryMum · 28/06/2007 11:58

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tatt · 28/06/2007 15:21

pizzas are normally fine as long as you don't have nuts on the surface you prepare them on.

However if you are planning any sort of pudding that can be more of a problem. Kids here love to decorate their own ice cream but there are very few icecreams safe for peanut allergic children - and they are all expensive.

If you have birthday cake check if he is OK with marzipan as some peanut allergic people avoid tree nuts too - or just use jam to keep icing on.

If there are party bags kitkats are safe things to put in or (I think) chocolate buttons, or haribo.

I am always so grateful to a mum who makes an effort that their kids get extra nice presents

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.