My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Peanut allergy doctors letter for flying !

9 replies

soz1 · 12/06/2007 21:13

My daughter is 2 years old and has a severe peanut allergy. We are attempting to go on our 1st holiday abroad to Portugal in a few weeks. The doctor wants to charge £10 for a letter to show the airline, to cover the Epipen. Has anyone else paid this fee ? Its not a lot of money, but the principle of it seems wrong !

OP posts:
BishyBarneyBee · 12/06/2007 21:15

that seems really unfair.

don't know any more about it but it does wrong for penalising you for your daughter's allergy.

So yes the prinicple of it is wrong.

canmummy · 12/06/2007 21:18

Unfortunately they can charge what they like for this service as it's not covered on the NHS. I take needles on the plane with me all the time (I'm diabetic) and have never had a problem yet or needed to show a letter. I remember going on a flight once and there being a cabin announcement not to eat peanuts on the flight due to someone with an allergy being on board. I'm sure everything will be fine

Julia76 · 13/06/2007 08:44

Gosh this has made me realise what i will need to go through when we eventually decide to take a holiday abroad. My ds2(8) also has a severe peanut allergy. We have always taken holidays in the uk, however will be going a broad at some stage we hope in the near future.

Pimmpom · 13/06/2007 10:18

Yes, I felt exactly the same as you. I was absolutely livid at being charged £10 for my ds letter. As you say, it is the principle not the money. Doesn't seem so bad if it was for an adult, but a child . When I went in to pick up letter (and pay )I did say I thought it was absolutely disgusting.

Of course, I have had the letter with my passports for many years and have never had to show it. (flown many times.)
In fact, the epipens are in my hand luggage and they never even question it or ask to see what they are, as they go through x ray

I always phone the airline to let them know. First Choice will send you a letter confirming it will be a nut free flight and not sell any nut products. Do remind them when you get on though and they will make an annoucement.

KerryMum · 13/06/2007 10:20

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KerryMum · 13/06/2007 10:21

tatt · 13/06/2007 15:01

Our old gp did one for free, probably feeling guilty about having messed up the diagnosis. However they can charge what they like. As we've recently seen a consultant we have a copy of his letter to the gp and are just going to take that. Have never had anyone read it, although I have once been asked if we had it.

If you haven't been abroad with an allergic child you need to check your usual insurer isn't a pain about the allergy. We have spoken to companies who wouldn't cover it.

KerryMum · 13/06/2007 16:37

mosschops30 · 13/06/2007 16:40

My docs charge a fee of £30 for things like this, but if you get in to see the right doc I can get away with it

They told me its because they do it in their own time (of course they do )

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.