My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Aloe Vera allergy information needed.

5 replies

lailasmum · 13/04/2007 15:28

Hi
I was wondering if any one knows anything about Aloe Vera allergy. My 2 year old daughter has this. I generally use home made toiletries or just plain old water anyway but over the last couple of years she has come into contact with aloe vera a few times and has had massive reactions to it.
The first time was in a baby wipe given to us by a friend to wipe her face with. She had a red rash as a result-i thought nothing of it at the time as they can be pretty strong anyway but realised later it contained aloe vera (the wipe had green stripes, not sure what brand). Then I used an aloe vera spray on her once (from My Pure)and she looked like some one had poured boiling water over her in the area the spray had touched. Then last weekend we used a sunblock on her that contains aloe vera and once again she reacted, this is the worst reaction by far with a raised itchy rash that she was scratching to the point of drawing blood. It covers her entire body that came into contact with the sunblock.
She has spent the last week on Anti histamines which worked to reduce the itching (though the rash is still there 6 days later). However I would love to know if anyone else has come across allergies to aloe vera as all I can find on the internet is information on how wonderful it is. Its is also difficult to buy natural/organic sunblocks that don't contain it-Any one know of any?
Thanks
Jeanette

OP posts:
ChocolateTeapot · 13/04/2007 15:38

Sorry your poor DD has had this. I haven't heard of an allergy to Aloe Vera before but some people are allergic to various botanicals, eg lavender, beeswax, so I guess there will be a few people who do have a similar allergy

Do a google for "Soleo Organics" , it doesn't have it in.

lailasmum · 13/04/2007 18:14

Thanks for the information i will look that one up.
Aloe vera seems to be in every thing at the moment.

OP posts:
Hideehi · 13/04/2007 18:24

CAn I ask if aloe vera can be used on broken skin ? I seem to remember it helped with healing is that right ?

ChocolateTeapot · 13/04/2007 18:28

You can use it on burns but I'm not sure about broken skin. I'd probably wait until it has healed over a little then apply. I've got a plant on the window sill in the kitchen so lob a leaf off when we need it (I feel pathetically cruel though !) Much cheaper and fresher than the gel you can buy.

lailasmum · 13/04/2007 18:29

Hi
I am not sure, but I would doubt it if you want it for an open wound. I read somewhere that it wasn't good of healing after surgery and that kind of thing. I have heard that honey is good on open wounds but I would do a but of research into that before using it.
However, like with my daughter you do need to do a little test patch on normal skin first to make sure there is no sensitivity to it other wise you may just add to the wound.
Jeanette

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.