My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

ds diagnosed allergic to nuts and eggs

14 replies

polly28 · 07/02/2004 23:20

I know I've posted on here before about ds's allergies but he's just had his appt at southampton and been diagnosed with severe nut and egg allergy.I feel really devastated even though I new he was allergic,I guess I was hoping they would tell me it wasn't too serious.It just seems he's been given a life sentence of worrying ( and me too).I keep thinking of how hard it will be to leave him with anyone,what about holidays,eating out,his teenage years .It scares me to death.I feel like it will mean our whole social life will have to change.Selfish thoughts I know Any encouragement about life with allergies gratefully received,sorry this is so long

OP posts:
bunny2 · 07/02/2004 23:37

Hi Polly, ds has allergies to egg and nuts aswell as other foods such as cod, soya, lentils and celery, his most severe allergy is to nuts. We now carry epipens and piriton with us wherever we go.

I was similarly devastated when ds was diagnosed. My immediate reaction was "well ,I'll educate him at home and never let him out of my sight". But that wouldnt be fair to him. You do have to plan things carefully and make sure people understand the seriousness of the allergy but it is manageable with a bit of forethought.

Ds goes to pre-school 2 mornings a week, he does not eat there so that is not really an issue. The staff there are fully trained to use an epipen (we keep one there too). In September he will go to primary school and that does concern me because despite a ban on nuts, I am sure they find their way into some childrens packed lunches in some form or other. I am teaching ds that he must be very careful not to eat nuts and will visist his school before he starts to talk to the staff and reassure myself they can cope if he does have a reaction.

Today we went to a birthday party and ds was given a plate of food which included a piece of battered fish. Luckily I was sitting next to him so could quickly remove it from his plate, recently another friend offered him crunchy nut cornflakes. I have come to the conclusion that noone is as aware of allergy or as concerned as I for my son's health, therefore I have to be vigilant at all times.

SOrry, bit of a long reply there! I got carried away typing. Just wanted you to know there are many of us who have children with severe allergies, we do cope and it just becomes a way of life. Good luck

bunny2 · 07/02/2004 23:37

Hi Polly, ds has allergies to egg and nuts aswell as other foods such as cod, soya, lentils and celery, his most severe allergy is to nuts. We now carry epipens and piriton with us wherever we go.

I was similarly devastated when ds was diagnosed. My immediate reaction was "well ,I'll educate him at home and never let him out of my sight". But that wouldnt be fair to him. You do have to plan things carefully and make sure people understand the seriousness of the allergy but it is manageable with a bit of forethought.

Ds goes to pre-school 2 mornings a week, he does not eat there so that is not really an issue. The staff there are fully trained to use an epipen (we keep one there too). In September he will go to primary school and that does concern me because despite a ban on nuts, I am sure they find their way into some childrens packed lunches in some form or other. I am teaching ds that he must be very careful not to eat nuts and will visist his school before he starts to talk to the staff and reassure myself they can cope if he does have a reaction.

Today we went to a birthday party and ds was given a plate of food which included a piece of battered fish. Luckily I was sitting next to him so could quickly remove it from his plate, recently another friend offered him crunchy nut cornflakes. I have come to the conclusion that noone is as aware of allergy or as concerned as I for my son's health, therefore I have to be vigilant at all times.

SOrry, bit of a long reply there! I got carried away typing. Just wanted you to know there are many of us who have children with severe allergies, we do cope and it just becomes a way of life. Good luck

polly28 · 07/02/2004 23:46

thanks bunny2,it does help to know that he can lead a normal life.He is only 17months so lots of hurdles to get over yet .MY dd who is twelve had an egg allergy that she outgrew so I'm hoping that atleast he may outgrow that,but they said that his nut allergy was unlikely to change .

OP posts:
bobthebaby · 07/02/2004 23:53

My son is allergic to eggs, dairy and peanut and I can't eat them too as I am breastfeeding him. It is totally natural to be annoyed about how it will affect your life - after all he's only 17 months he doesn't know what he is missing.

5 months on my cooking has improved beyond all recognition and I really enjoy it. I agree though that other people are utterley useless, after all why do they think they are called "crunchy NUT cornflakes"?

So many children have a nut allergy now, that I'm sure the world that they are a teenager in will be different to the one we fear for them. We shall all be responsible for educating people, one airline, school or restaurant at a time.

robinw · 08/02/2004 06:58

message withdrawn

bunny2 · 08/02/2004 20:48

Ds has outgrown some of his allergies (diagnosed when he was under a year). Chicken, wheat and dairy were banned foods but now dh is fine with them. He was retested at the age of 3 and showed no allergic reactions to those foods. So, yes, it is very possible that your ds will outgrow some of the allergies. The nut ones is the most likely to stay.

robinw · 09/02/2004 07:10

message withdrawn

polly28 · 09/02/2004 12:19

THanks robin that sounds good as we live quite close to beulieu Sp?.I will losk it up on there site,just sent of my application form today so don't know if I'll still be eligble to go.I'll ring them today.

OP posts:
polly28 · 09/02/2004 12:24

just had a look on their website and only saw a youth workshop in the soton area.He's too young for that,is that the one you were thinking of?

Sorry I misread your post,thought you meant a meeting was scheduled for this week! Stupid me.

OP posts:
bunny2 · 09/02/2004 19:38

Polly, I am in Bournemouth, just up the road from you!

JJ · 09/02/2004 19:59

Polly28, my son was diagnosed with allergies to milk and peanut when he was about 9 months old. He had anaphylactic reactions to milk a number of times. He was also allergic to soya, but just in the normal way. He did grow out of the milk allergy at age 5 1/2.

He's still growing out of the peanut allergy and the doctors have said it's still possible that he'll outgrow it. His skin tests have got to go down to the point where a food challenge is possible, though.

I know how scary it is. But kids pick up on it quickly. My son's classmates have been great. They're concerned for him and they educate their parents. Plus, he knows how to work his epi-pen and has for a while. His inhaler (he's a bit asthmatic) was harder, but epi-pens are easy-peasy. He has asked for it when he needed it, although he still prefers to avoid "the shot".. as do I!

I hope that helps. It's really really hard the first couple of years. Alibubbles has a daughter allergic to nuts and I never thought I'd get to her frame of mind. But, I'm getting there. Her daughter (a teenager, I think!) goes on ski trips alone, etc etc. Her daughter knows how to handle it. I'm looking forward to being able to be like her, because I really think it's possible.

Sorry if that didn't make sense!

polly28 · 10/02/2004 23:13

thanks for your messages,it makes me feel a lot better knowing that others are happily living with it.

I got his epipens today so now I've got to start remembering to take it out with me!I guess it will become second nature eventually.I'm also going to ask the mother and toddler group we go to to swap the hobnobs for a nut free bicky.I've got to learn to be assertive now I guess.

OP posts:
polly28 · 10/02/2004 23:17

bunny2,i'm not far from bournemouth,about twenty minutes.

OP posts:
bunny2 · 11/02/2004 08:27

Hi Polly, yep, you have to be assertive. People just arent as aware as they should be. I hope the epipens give you peace of mind, having them helped me relax alot, they come everywhere with us though I should do a refresher course on using it.

Let me know if you are in Bournemouth and need a moan!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.