My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Posting because I know you guys will understand...

14 replies

harverina · 26/02/2012 21:40

Ah I feel like such a drama queen.

My DD, 22 months, is allergic to milk, eggs and nuts.

Today we were at a birthday party (her first). We took our own food, there were no nuts that we were aware of as we had asked the host beforehand and all in all it went well. My DD was perhaps a little more clingy than usual but seemed to enjoy herself. After the party my DD napped in the car which we expected as she had missed her usual nap. About an hour after the party she woke up and was very sick. We gave her piriton, took her home and after another hour she was sick again, so I gave her more piriton. She drank some milk but was then sick quite soon after drinking it. In between being sick my DD seemed fine. She wanted to play with her toys etc but didnt want dinner. My DD had ger bath as usual, no sign of rashes, swelling. Only sickness and a bit snotty around the same time. So, after her bath she was fine. A little quieter maybe but singing baa baa black sheep etc and chatting. Generally bright.

So...despite all of this I have still been in an absoulte panic all night that she may be having an anaphylactic reaction. Please tell me I'm being stupid, I need some reassurance. I am feeling so anxious...I thought I was getting better with all of this :(

I really thought that I was beginning to stop worrying so much - I'm still as vigilant, still as careful, but had not been as uptight recently. I feel as though there is always a knot of tension worrying about my DD, especially when she is not with me.

My mum was looking after my DD yesterday and felt that she was quite clingy and a bit quieter at points and she thought that maybe she was coming down with something, perhaps she is right.

OP posts:
BlueBumedFly · 26/02/2012 22:40

I'm sorry you have had such a rubbish day. If you took your own food and your L/O didn't take any food from anywhere else it would be unlikely that she is having a reaction? What is her usual reaction to Milk/egg/nuts? Do you have epipens or is she controlled by piraton etc?

Could she have a bug? If you are really stressed is she able to be roused just to check she is ok? Can you sleep in her room just to check on her tonight

How would she react if you woke her to top up piraton at the next dose time?

I'd be the same, you are not overreacting, allergies are stressy. Hugs x

MrsShrekTheThird · 26/02/2012 22:47

BBF's pretty much said it all, but I'm still in the same mindset 11 years on with milk allergic dc... allergies are unpredictable and just plain worrying so you are not alone being concerned. Bottom line is you absolutely never know until way further down the line if it was an allergic reaction or a sick bug. If no rashes (yet) then perhaps a bug, but you're right to keep stuffing her with piriton and keep more of an eye that usual or not let her out of your sight ime

smartiesrule · 26/02/2012 22:50

That must have been a difficult day for you.
I know how you feel, my DS (5) is allergic to eggs and nuts as well (he's had a RAST test so I'm sure of this).
Anaphylactic shock would most likely start with breathlessness and coughing. The airways get compromised first and if an inhaler doesn't work then use an epipen. I assume you have been prescribed one?
Unfortunately it is just as hard when they get older. I have had to teach my DS to ask if there is egg or nuts in ANYTHING he is given by anyone else. Quite hard to monitor at school...
I can usually sneak piriton into my DS at night if necessary while he is asleep by using a syringe and just trickling it into his mouth.
Try not to worry too much, if she was going to have a bad reaction, she would have had it by now.
Hear's a glass of wine to relax with Wine Smile

youarekidding · 26/02/2012 23:04

Sad It's not silly at all.

I still give DS puriton if he coughs and scratches at the same time Blush. I never even wait to see if the redness is hives or where he's scratching. Also if he's fine and then suddenly feels sick or vomits.

We don't even know what he's allergic too!

Hopefully it is a bug - there's lot's around. Please stay and let us know how you and DD are.

harverina · 27/02/2012 08:33

Morning, sorry I didn't reply last night...

Thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.

My dd slept all night. She woke up asking for breakfast as she must have been starving. However, about half an hour after having soya milk she was really sick and has been sick a few times since. She is not herself at all so I think its a bug. She wants water but has so far not kept any down. No other signs of a reaction at all.

At the moment I am typing on my with one hand while she breastfeeds. I think we'll be having lots of cuddles on the couch today.

We do have epipens, yes.

OP posts:
harverina · 27/02/2012 08:42

Oops didn't mean to post so quickly!

Glad I'm not the only one that worries...youarekidding I'm a bit like that too with the piriton, though to be fair we don't use it a lot. I've posted before about my dd being pale with red hair with skin that's prone to blotchiness when she cries ect (just like me, I've always envied women who are attractive when they cry!) So I often have moments when I wonder if its a welt on her face or just a normal red mark.

Thanks again for your support.

OP posts:
youarekidding · 27/02/2012 21:51

yes luckily it doesn't happen often with DS. Realise my post made it look like a daily occurance!

It's certain types of 'whole body' cough with red marks on his back and him scratching like a cat on a mat all over!

Sorry to hear your DD is unwell - but I am glad it's not allergy. (it's a bit like the lesser of 2 evils Sad)

mumat39 · 27/02/2012 22:18

Hello Haverina

I don't really have anything else to add apart from you could be writing about me and how I am.

DD is nearly 4 1/2 and I have been a nervous wreck for the last 4 years. After every year of testing and finding more and more foods that she's allergic to I got to the stage where I just wasn't functioning as the anxiety got so bad. My GP said he was more worried about me than DD and put me on anti-depressants for anxiety and they have really really helped.

I am still the same and worry lots but I seem to have a bit more of a rational head and can think straight. I'm not suggesting that you need drugs at all. They have just really helped me. I wish I hadn't needed them but hey ho.

I still worry in any new situation and I sometimes feel like if I try and relax about her allergies she has a reaction. Or the number of times I've thought, 'oh that's good she hasn't need any piriton in a while' and then that day or the next day she needs it.

WHen I was pregnant with her I remember just worrying so so much about allergies as I have hayfever, eczema, allergy to shellfish and intolerance to wheat and dairy. It sometimes feels like it was a sixth sense and at others I wonder if I jinxed her.

We have full time school to worry about in September. Goodness knows what I'll be like then. And I don't even know what I'll send her to school with for packed lunches. I can see my GP having to up my does of the drugs LOL.

Anyway, I thought I'd just say hello and that you're definitely not the only one. If you're ever worried, you can give piriton whilst your DD is sleeping. I was shown this at the hospital and you give piriton into the side of the mouth/cheek and then rub on the soft bit behind the chin bone and that initiates a swallowing reflex. You drip it in slowly and get it in without disturbing your child.

Also, if youe DD's nose is stuffy then that could just be because she's been sick. And there are so so many bugs going around that fingers crossed she was just coming down with something and lots of mummy hugs and calpol will help. My DS was unwell the last couple of weeks and the GP and the A&E doctor both said that they don't worry if kids don't eat as long as they drink, so if she will just try and keep her well hydrated.

I really hope she's feeling better soon and that you're feeling a little less frazzled soon too.

take care and big hugs to you and your DD.
xx

mumat39 · 27/02/2012 22:20

sorry that should have said up my dose Blush

garliclover · 28/02/2012 07:57

harverina, so sorry you're going through this at the moment. It's funny how as a mum of an allergic child I spend my life thinking 'oh please i hope it's a bug'! Seems as though this is your poor DD. My DS had something similar a month ago it was going round nursery and other kids all over town were getting it too! Like you I spent the first day and night worrying that he'd developed yet another allergy and had the epipens ready.
My DS would only have a tiny bit of dioralyte while he had the bug, but that was enough to keep him hydrated (apparently it hydrates immediately, so even if they're sick five minutes later it will have done some good). Also, when he managed to eat something, he was craving salt because he lost that as well as water, so for the first day of recovery he ate M & S crisps and popcorn. He's okay with soya (like your DD?) so he can have those.
Hope your DD feels better soon!

harverina · 28/02/2012 09:06

Hi thanks so much for your replies.

My dd is a lot better now, she hasn't been properly sick since yesterday morning, though was a teeny tiny bit sick last night. Have heard that a couple of kids from our toddler group had a 24 bug last week too. Luckily my dd was drinking lots of soya milk and water and breastfed about 5 times yesterday too. Though I doubt she got a lot of milk from me, more comfort.

Garlic, what you describe is exactly what I was like, even though she had no other allergy symptoms. its hard to be rational when your in a panic though.

mumat39, I can really sympathise and identify with some of your feelings...sometimes I do feel so overwhelmed by the allergies. I think I have got a bit better and can relax a little more but never feel fully relaxed when eating out or when my dd is with someone else.

I'm trying not to think about school at the moment, but I can't busy my head in the sand for long because my dd will need to be enrolled in pre school nursery this time next year. There are a lot of mums on here that can offer support and guidance with it as they have been tthrough exactly the same thing. What is your dd allergic to? We see our consultant next week, for My dd's 6 month check. Her eczema has improved a lot since our last appointment and has even been good when she breastfeeds more despite me eating lots of allergens...mainly chocolate, I
I don't have a lot of raw dairy generally!

Thanks again, its great to be able to come on here and get support and vent. I don't know anyone else in RL with children with allergies so its brilliant to have you all here :)

OP posts:
harverina · 28/02/2012 09:07

Hi thanks so much for your replies.

My dd is a lot better now, she hasn't been properly sick since yesterday morning, though was a teeny tiny bit sick last night. Have heard that a couple of kids from our toddler group had a 24 bug last week too. Luckily my dd was drinking lots of soya milk and water and breastfed about 5 times yesterday too. Though I doubt she got a lot of milk from me, more comfort.

Garlic, what you describe is exactly what I was like, even though she had no other allergy symptoms. its hard to be rational when your in a panic though.

mumat39, I can really sympathise and identify with some of your feelings...sometimes I do feel so overwhelmed by the allergies. I think I have got a bit better and can relax a little more but never feel fully relaxed when eating out or when my dd is with someone else.

I'm trying not to think about school at the moment, but I can't busy my head in the sand for long because my dd will need to be enrolled in pre school nursery this time next year. There are a lot of mums on here that can offer support and guidance with it as they have been tthrough exactly the same thing. What is your dd allergic to? We see our consultant next week, for My dd's 6 month check. Her eczema has improved a lot since our last appointment and has even been good when she breastfeeds more despite me eating lots of allergens...mainly chocolate, I
I don't have a lot of raw dairy generally!

Thanks again, its great to be able to come on here and get support and vent. I don't know anyone else in RL with children with allergies so its brilliant to have you all here :)

OP posts:
harverina · 28/02/2012 09:11

Youarekidding, its ok, I didn't imagine you with the piriton in hand when your ds cleared his throat!

OP posts:
youarekidding · 28/02/2012 09:12

Grin

Well not anymore Wink

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.