My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

no wheat party bag

6 replies

youbethemummylion · 08/02/2012 20:33

Hi, one of DS1's friends has a wheat intollerance or allergy (not sure which) but I know his mum makes him a packed lunch to eat at parties and has had to take the sweets/chocolates out of party bags for him. I would really love to give him a party bag at DS's party where he can eat everything that is in it. Any help on sweets/chocolates I can give him? Is there anything like a wheat free cupcake etc I could give him instead of a piece of birthday cake?

OP posts:
pilates · 08/02/2012 20:36

They do muffins in sainsburys in the gluten free section.

MamaBear11111 · 08/02/2012 20:52

Tesco and Sainsbury both do good 'free from' ranges. We love the bakewell tarts!! But also bags of dairy/wheat free chic buttons, biscuits, bread etc. Also frozen food as we always take our own chicken nuggets toa wacky party!! Health food shops always do a range but supermarkets are generally pretty good and easy when online shopping just search free from or wheat free.

Bumply · 08/02/2012 20:52

Ingredients have to declare if there are any allergens, so if it doesn't include wheat/gluten it'll be fine.

If you want to check something specific I can look it up in my sons coeliac food and drink bible directory.

Things like haribo, cadburys buttons, fruit pastilles are all fine

youbethemummylion · 08/02/2012 21:40

Hi, Thanks for the tips I will check the supermarket for a little cake (or maybe even a bakewell tart or two) Thats great news about the Haribo as thats what the other kids are getting anyway!

OP posts:
MamaBear11111 · 08/02/2012 21:48

And well done for thinking of his friend! It's always lovely when friends get my DD little treats she can eat. Haribo always a winner!!
Enjoy your party.

freefrommum · 09/02/2012 09:17

The main sweets to avoid are laces for some reason. No idea why they often have wheat in but they do. With chocolate, as long as it's only wheat that he's allergic or intolerant to, just stick to Cadbury's buttons or similar. As the others have said, there's loads of good wheat & gluten free cakes in the supermarket freefrom sections. It's really great that you're doing this for him, I always really appreciate it when people make the effort to accommodate my DC's allergies/intolerances.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.