My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Baked milk challenge - is butter ok?!

4 replies

lukewarmMulledWhine · 30/12/2011 17:50

Hi there - we've just been given a date in a couple of weeks for a baked milk challenge, and told to bring some sponge cake.

This is probably a really silly question, but does it matter where the dairy comes from in the cake? ie make it with butter, or use actual milk (eg a muffin type recipe)?

OP posts:
BlameItOnTheBogey · 30/12/2011 18:02

We used actual milk. Simply because we wanted to be sure, if dd didn't react, that it was down to the process of baking the milk and not any other process the milk had been through. Not sure whether this logic holds up but I really wanted to be clear in mind what the result was.

Good luck - a whole new world opens up with baked milk!

lukewarmMulledWhine · 30/12/2011 18:12

Thanks - that's kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if it was silly or not! Will use actual milk then.

Fingers crossed... passed baked egg in November, so if this goes well she might actually be able to eat other kids' birthday cakes (without icing etc, but still..)!

OP posts:
freefrommum · 30/12/2011 19:03

Good luck! Really hope it goes well (from a selfish point of view it will give me hope for DS's future too!)

bonestable · 30/12/2011 20:41

Definitely use actual milk. Butter in theory is just the fat with no protein. As it is the protein that is allergenic you will want to use milk so you know there is a significant amount of protein in it.

Good luck - my DD passed baked milk in May and it has really widened her options of what to eat!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.