My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

A brief warning

21 replies

PeachyClair · 06/11/2005 19:39

Don't now how many people this affects, but this happened to us and it might to someone else.

Sam started a new school last june. We sent him with all his forms clearly stating 'Dairy Free Diet'.

A letter sent home with DS" last week stated that they only abide by dietary needs if accompanied by a letter from Paeds.

It appears as we were not told of this when Sam started school, as the letter goes out in September only, Sam's dietary needs were ignored and he was given dairy every day without us knowing.

We wondered why he was always ill.

So for goodness sake- if it matters to you- confirm it with every teacher you meet!

OP posts:
tegan · 06/11/2005 19:47

That is disgusting treatment.
At dd1's school they have a big notice board in the staff room which has the childs picture and all their details like allergies or dietry requirements so even visitors to the school will know the info required.

rummum · 06/11/2005 19:55

how does it affect him if he has dairy??

PeachyClair · 06/11/2005 19:56

Stomach pains, mucus, diarrhoea, headaches. he has abseb=nces which I get from dairy, but he might get from his Aspergers- we don't know. Both I suspect.

Good job not a full allergy really.

OP posts:
rummum · 06/11/2005 19:57

abseb=nces... god.. whats that...

ladymuck · 06/11/2005 19:58

At ds's school the boys all wore badges for the first couple of weeks with indications of what there particular allergies/dietary choices were so that all the staff would have a clue. And the staff have a list up in the dining hall so they can refer to it daily.

rummum · 06/11/2005 19:59

son is allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts... no way would I trust the school to provide him with food.. he has a packed lunch...
I find other people have NO IDEA about allergies...

son is allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts... no way would I trust the school to provide him with food.. he has a packed lunch...

PeachyClair · 06/11/2005 20:05

Sorry, absences

He just seems to drift off for a few minutes, like a daydream only more so, I would guess: bit like what used to be called a petit mal epilepsya ttack only I can't remember the current phrase used.

OP posts:
rummum · 06/11/2005 20:10

I'll try to post this only once....

Daughter has these absences too... she says that she just looks at something and stares at it... she is aware of whats going on arround her but she can't snap out of it...
Daughter was seen recently by an EP at school who thinks that Daughter has Aspergers Tendencies.. is this common is Aspergers... EP thought it was the noise and that Daughter just switches off..

sorry for the hijack... never heard of this before.

PeachyClair · 06/11/2005 20:12

Aspergers kids (and many other NT kids!) are more susceptible to stimuli such as noise, temperature etc so do switch off and have these absences.

it's not necessarily a sign of SN, just a sensitive child.

OP posts:
rummum · 06/11/2005 20:14

Was he checked out for epilepsy?

PeachyClair · 06/11/2005 20:16

No actually. I've always done it myself and I just assumed it was genetic, or a side effect of one of the dairy thing as I have that also.

OP posts:
mymama · 07/11/2005 22:20

Thanks for the warning. My ds (2) is allergic to eggs, fish and nuts. He is still at home with me because I don't feel ready to trust other carers yet. Warnings like this don't help my confidence much either.

bobbybob · 08/11/2005 17:30

That is disgusting treatment - they have knowingly given a child food which makes him ill. And I think that list of symptoms is a real proper allergy - it's not all stopping breathing that counts.

batters · 08/11/2005 17:46

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nightynight · 08/11/2005 18:13

Really sad that reaction to dairy products is still treated in such an insulting way.

hope your son feels better now.

PeachyClair · 08/11/2005 18:20

Appears it is LEA policy

OP posts:
mygirllolipop · 15/11/2005 11:01

Message withdrawn

Prettybird · 15/11/2005 11:10

If it's LES policy, then you should wirte to the LEA and state that thier communication process puts children at risk - and that children are at risk while in their care (imagine if it had been a more severe allergy! ). Parents are not mind readers: if thier child starts school at a time other than September, then they noeed to be told that any special dietary requirements need a paediatrician's letter. The forms need to state that clearly.

If a parent has completed the forms stating clearly any allergies that the child has, and has not been told that they also need to include a paed's letter, then the LEA/school has been infomred of the child's needs - and the LEA/school is liable if anything oges wrong, as the parents have informed them.

snotfair · 16/11/2005 15:22

hi everyone, ive got 2 with allergies and im not surprised at this school. One school we applied to wouldnt even condsider us as one of the allergens is nuts. Crazy!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.