My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

how to approach this

11 replies

Deafworm · 25/01/2011 10:24

Hi all, im hoping someone on here can give me some basic advice. we are planning a wii and pizza party for my dd1's next birthday and she has decided who she would like to come, one of the children has celiac disease (hope ive put that right) so im aware that this limits her from wheat, obviously i plan to talk to the mum but i wondered if there were any pizza ish alternatives that i could get specially for her to make her food similar and not leave her out, im sure i could google for ideas but what im really after is personal recomendations as i suspect there are some very nice altenative foods and some that are horrible from other things i have read on here.

id just like to be able to go to the mum and let her know i have thought about it and not make her feel like its an afterthought. ive seen things on here about being treated like an inconvenience and i really dont want her to feel this way so any advice on that score would be great. my dd2 has epilepsy and people are wary of that so i have an idea of how that feels.

OP posts:
heliotrope · 25/01/2011 10:44

Could ask her if she can have spelt flour and make a base from that (or buy from health food shop?). There are also Doves Farm gluten free flours but like you say best to check what exactly she can have. They'll be touched that you're bothering!

mumbar · 25/01/2011 10:51

What about buying pizza bases, you can get gluten free ones too, and all DC's make their own? That way everyone gets one they want and are the same?

BTW you sound lovely.

MrsDanverclone · 25/01/2011 10:53

Hi, this is going back a couple of years ago when my dd had friends over from Primary school and one of them had coeliac disease, but like you I was doing pizza and didn't want her to feel excluded. I had researched various recipes that didn't contain wheat or gluten to try to make a pizza base and went and asked the mum's advice on if she had tried any of them. The mum actually gave me a pizza base that she got on prescription for her daughter.

So have a chat with her mum, as she will no doubt be an expert on this subject by now and see what she says.
I hope your daughter has a great party.

Deafworm · 25/01/2011 11:16

thanks heliotrope i was concerned it would come across as patronising so glad it hasnt

and mumbar what a fab idea, its something we do anyway and my girls love it so not difficult to add into the plan at all and that way i can make sure we have suitable ingredients, brilliant :o

thanks mrsdanverclone I will have a chat with her, the party is still a month off so i just figured if i had a bit of preperation then i could go to her without making a hash of it!!

OP posts:
Deafworm · 10/02/2011 15:47

Thanks all for your advice, i spotted the mum in the playground today so explained the plan which has definitely changed to be making their own pizzas at the start and she says she will make a couple of suitable bases for her dd and has given me a bit of an explanation of what we can put on it.

OP posts:
PixieOnaLeaf · 11/02/2011 10:20

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Deafworm · 11/02/2011 11:46

thanks pixie, i just didn't want her to have to stand out as different, its no major hassle on my part to change the plan a little and she gets to be exactly the same as everyone else.I guess its how i would hope someone would treat my dd's, just really appreciate the suggestions i got.

OP posts:
PixieOnaLeaf · 11/02/2011 11:51

Message withdrawn

Deafworm · 11/02/2011 12:50

thats a shame pixie, i was quite happy to do it myself, its my dd's party and im providing food for everyone else, she offered to make a couple of bases though and im guessing hers will be better than what i could buy so ive taken her up on it! id hate to make a child feel left out/different because, actually i cant work out why, ive possibly put 20 extra minutes into this girl, cant see any reason not to.

she wasnt in dd's class last year and i didnt ask about allergies, i did assume if there were any they would have mentioned it but i would absolutely have accomodated them if id been told, does that sound ok? must admit i assumed no issues but worked on the theory that i would tell someone about my dd2's epilepsy.

OP posts:
nottirednow · 11/02/2011 14:23

Message withdrawn

Deafworm · 11/02/2011 15:34

useful to know, thank you :)

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.