My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Weleda Baby range for Eczema

9 replies

sassie23 · 24/01/2011 08:04

Hi using weleda baby calendula lotion and oil for 10 week old with eczema on body. Seems to help and baby tolerating it well though it is quite pungent and I was worried about the perfume element in it. Has anyone else used it successfully. The ingredients are all derived from plant oils so nothing chemical unlike the diprobase prescribed by gp??? Any thoughts many thanks

OP posts:
Hattieboomboom · 24/01/2011 14:41

I would think Weleda is fine to use on eczema (i use some of the range, but baby doesn't have eczema just very dry skin sort of like dermatitis) but if you don't like the smell then there is a cream made by aveeno suitable for eczema. It has very few ingredients and nothing harsh and is brilliant. Aveeno Cream - not baby specific but great.

sassie23 · 24/01/2011 20:01

thanks hattie I have got some of the aveeno from the doc today it seems nice too

OP posts:
heliotrope · 25/01/2011 10:42

I love the Aveeno too and great if you can get it on prescription. I had Weleda but didn't actually find it moisturised deeply enough for my son. We had to use Epaderm for him as had weeping eczema and infections / open sores, although that is very greasy and yucky as it gets everywhere.
Now he is 3.5 I'd be happy to get any kind of moisturiser on his dry skin but he is in a phase of not letting me, so he stays dry!
Personally I don't worry too much about 'natural' / 'chemical' - everything is a chemical and just because something is from a plant doesn't mean it is nicer on your skin. I was made by homeopaths and general reading to feel guilty for using petroleum based creams on him when he was a baby, as well as for using steroids - but that was absolutely what he needed at the time and I wished I'd done it earlier.

babybarrister · 25/01/2011 14:02

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

duchesse · 25/01/2011 14:08

When DD3 started getting eczema, I made her a cream of half and half beeswax and olive oil with a splash of honey mixed in. It works on all sorts of skin problems. I found that it seemed to keep whatever was causing the little round patches of eczema at bay. It hasn't cured them but they look a lot less angry. Also works on chapped cheeks and dribble-irritated chins.

OkieCokie · 25/01/2011 21:12

I have found Epaderm better than some "natural" stuff. Some natural oils (such as Olive) are in fact not some of the best things you can use on the skin. I have also found Diprobase very good Confused

MistyB · 25/01/2011 21:30

Unfortunately, different people react to different products. My DS couldn't tolerate any petroleum products or any nut / seed oils which Weleda have. Aveena and Dream cream from Lush were others that we tried and worked well and we eventually settled on Earth Friendly Baby Calendula Daily Care Cream which was the best for him.

sassie23 · 27/01/2011 08:40

thanks for your advie interesting point about nut oils in weleda. Think the aveeno is doing the trick face has cleared up a treat just a touch of cradle cap type crust round his brow and forehead but its manageable. Saw another GP who assure me that using a mild steroid cream for a couple of days when the redness really flares up is perfectly safe so we'll see how we go

OP posts:
babybarrister · 27/01/2011 13:24

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.